• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Purigen

alip01

Hi,

I'm going to get some Purigen from the States when my Grandma goes to see my Aunty, and was thinking that I'd get some, as it's alot cheaper over there than it is here.

However, I've read that it can foul/turn toxic if used with slime coat products. Aqua Essentials say that it will foul in the last paragraph here, and Big Al's, the company I'll be getting it from, says that it becomes toxic if used with certain slime coat products, in the last scentence here.

Is Purigen safe to use with Aqua Plus dechlorinator, which is what I use? It says that it helps the slime coat on the bottle, so I'm not sure. :?

Thanks,
Alistair

I had a similar problem when I wanted to use purigen, I was useing aquasafe, wasnt to sure either, so i just bought seachem prime at the same time as the purigen, problem solved :D

Sorry cant tell you if Aqua Plus is safe or not.

cheers bb

Thanks for the reply,
I've been doing some searching myself, and found this thread on Seachem's forum.

The last paragraph of the second post seems to answer the question:
The type of dechlorinator used only makes a difference when you are regenerating the Purigen. I would advise you to buy some Prime or ChlorGuard just for the regeneration step if you are not certain that your current water conditioner does not have a amine based polymer.

So it looks like I'll need some Prime only for the regeneration.

Also of interest is that it says that you need to lower the ph of the cleaning solution...

Cheers,
Alistair

You have to use a buffer to lower the ph of the purigen after useing 50/50 bleach and water and then soak it in prime as this i beleave raise's the ph levels.

This is how seachem say how to regenate it.

Regeneration: Soak in a 1:1 bleach:water solution for 24 hours in a non-metalic container in a well ventilated area and away from children. Rinse well, then soak for 8 hours with a solution containing 2 tablespoons of ChlorGuardâ„¢, Primeâ„¢, or equivalent dechlorinator per cup of water. Rinse well. For freshwater use, soak for 4 hours with a solution containing 1 tablespoon of buffer per cup of water (Discus Bufferâ„¢, Neutral Regulatorâ„¢, or Acid Bufferâ„¢). Original color and full activity should now be restored and Purigenâ„¢ is ready for reuse. Caution: some slime coat products may permanently foul Purigenâ„¢ and render regeneration difficult. Do not reuse if odor of chlorine is detectable. In case of doubt, soak beads in small quantity of water and test for residual chlorine with a chlorine test kit.

cheers bb

Back