• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Purigen

jym

I am confused. I read this whilst doing a search on here relating to Purigen

Postby Maximumbob » Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:05 pm
I have just attempted to 'recharge' my Purigen.

Its seems I misunderstood the advice given - i assumed you only needed an non-amine based water conditioner during the recharge phase.. I have been using Nutrafin Aquaplus water conditioner. It apparently (after much internet searching) contains an amine based product which has fouled my purigen.

I first suspected something when I attempted to soak it in a bleach solution and the colour change was minimal. It only changed back to normal after a prolonged soak in 1:1 bleach water solution

The moral of my story is... learn from my mistake, if you use purigen, switch to seachem prime water conditioner. It will make your life easier!

I also did a search on Hagen's site in FAQ's and they say that Aquaplus is not Amine based.

Is it or is it not? Anyone know? I have always used Aquaplus and have recently bought a 2 litre pack of it so do not want to change to anything else, but I do want to give Purigen a try.

Have used purigen with both PRIME and AMQUEL+ with no issues. Don't know bout your brand however. Always soaked the purigen for 24 hours in one cup of bleach to one cup of water. Product purigen also recommends further soaking in Neutral regulator which I found unnecessary if product is left to soak in dechlorinators mentioned overnight after soaking in bleach solution for 24 hours.

Thank you Aaron and roadmaster for your replies.
Aaron, you are right about the changes to Hagen products, so to be on the safe side I have emailed Hagen and asked, despite the answer being in their FAQ section :rolleyes:
I do not mind changing to Prime when I have got through the 2litres of Aquaplus, but have found the product to be good.

Just for info for other members, I have just heard from Hagen that Aquaplus is Amine based, despite the fact that in FAQ on their website it states that it is not :? I am really glad that I decided to ask the question anyway. So I will change to Prime. :thumbup:

jym said:
Just for info for other members, I have just heard from Hagen that Aquaplus is Amine based, despite the fact that in FAQ on their website it states that it is not :? I am really glad that I decided to ask the question anyway. So I will change to Prime. :thumbup:

oops, good job you checked,
thanks, Aaron :thumbup:

Back