• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Pygmy cory question

Ajm200

Tank 40l
Substrate fine gravel over soil
Heavily planted (very little substrate visible) with floating plants too
Lighting 7W daylight bulb in a desk lamp
Heater 23c
Filtered (sort of). Sponge filter on a powerhead to keep water moving without sucking up shrimp

Apologies for the newbie question. I’m sure the answer is here somewhere but I didn’t find it and I should know as I’ve kept these before

I have added to 8 Pygmy corydoras to my tank. They are shoaling midway up the tank and not going to the substrate.

Not bought any for a few years but seem to remember this being normal until they decide the tank is safe. Is this right?

The tank has a full carpet of dwarf hairgrass and marsilea Hirsuta. Would that stop them settling? I remember them sitting amongst carpet plants and under leaves when I had them before

Thanks in advance

Forgot to say. Tank is cycled

Ammonia and nitrite are 0
Nitrates are low

Ferts are added with water changes.

I’ve not kept these myself but I understand that they will shoal mid-water so I don’t think it’s too much to worry about.

I should think they will start to root around once they settle.

I would keep an eye on them to make sure they are taking food and showing no signs of illness, but other than that, probably just give them a bit of time. 😊

Definitely normal behaviour for pygmies. Mine spend more time mid water than on the substrate.

I did however notice they spent more time on the substrate when they were they only ones in the tank, but could be anecdotal.
When I had them before they were the only fish in a shrimp tank. Maybe that’s why I remember them grazing more

Thanks everyone

Back