• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Quad Odyssea t5HO light unit enough light to carpet different plants

Aqua Hero

So I have a quad t5HO lighting unit. The deepest part of the tank is 19 inches tall measuring from the substrate. I have an 800lph filter with spray bar and a 900lph wavemaker to handle flow. I use around 1.5bps. I dose Ei ferts and my water is crystal clear.

Currently I'm using 6 t5HO bulbs with zero issues. No algae Infact my green spot algae is dying and that's the only visible one.

I was thinking I didn't need this much light to grow the plants I wanted.

I'm Tring to carpet:
Eloecharis Acicularis
Eloecharis paruvlus
Echinodorus tellenus
Hydrocotyle sp Japan

I'm also trying to carpet some Eloecharis sp mini and Monte Carlo but because they have a it of shade over them they might not get enough light from having 4 t5HO bulbs.

Should I reduce the lighting to 4 t5HO bulbs or keep it as 6

Sent from my D2303 using Tapatalk

My tank is 150 litre when it's empty. Not sure how much it is now but I know it has dropped

That does sound quite a large amount of lamps but you don't specify their wattage. You definitely don't need that much light to grow most carpets

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Whoops. They are all 24 watt bulbs my tank is 61cm long

It's a 30 gallon tall

That is definitely on the overkill camp of lighting for any tank. Be aware that is really hard to keep a tank stable with that much lighting and your plants will need really high supply of CO2 and ferts to keep in shape. You could most likely be fine with 2 or 3.

Alright I will reduce it down to 4 bulbs then.

Also I have another question. How long does it take for new plants to establish roots in the substrate, specifically DHG

It depends on the plant and whether they are submerged or emersed. But I would say about a week you should start to see roots

Back