• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

quarantine??

plantnoobdude

Hi, I am planning on heading over to wildwoods at enfield. and picking up a few fish. I have a 3 ember tetra in the tank now and would like to add a couple gourami and a few more ember tetras. since the stock is relatively small to begin with, should i just introduce them to the tank without any quarantine? and if some disease pops up, move them to a treatment tank? and if anyone has ever been to world of water in Enfield, please let me know of your experience. cheers,

As far as I'm aware Wildwoods do quarantine their stock but I'm not sure if their tanks are individually filtered or on a sump system.
I've had fish from there quite a few times and never had a problem but I do qt regardless because some of my fish are not easily replaced if something was to go wrong.
As your stocking is minimal it's really your call on how you wish to do it :)

thanks, I think I will just plop them into the tank as the risk is pretty minimal. excited to get some new fish? anyother people have experience with wildwoods in enfield?

I think it depends tbh, if I were you with only 3 embers I wouldn't bother, but there is always a risk that fish have picked something up/the stress of the move will make them sick, and make your current embers sick too. My tank got ich this week from fish from a different shop, I wish I had quarantined them, though it seems very treatable.

I have had mixed experiences with the fish from WoW. I've bought some chili rasboras and rice fish from them with no problems at all. I've also bought some otos from there last Autumn and didn't realise until I got home that one had a white mark on its face. Over the next week all 5 died and some developed these white marks that ate away at the flesh. 😭 I went at the end of the day, was tired and forgot to ask more questions about the fish like when they got them in, I assume they were quite new so I kinda blame myself cos I know this is a common oto problem. Luckily none of my original otos died and it didn't seem to spread in the tank (I took out all the new fish once I realised).

Their tetras and gourami always look really healthy and perky, I think it is a great place to get them from. I buy fish from there and definitely will continue to, especially as they often have in some nice unusual species. I probs will quarantine going forward after this ich experience cos I don't like how guilty I feel when the fish I already have get sick.

I've only bought fish from there once but have had no issues, they're all alive and well.

I'm not suggesting people follow what I do but in the last 12 years I've never quarantined a fish or a plant and I'm yet to experience anything bad as a result of that. I could be just lucky!

Edit: Just remembered I've actually bought fish from there twice.

Last edited:
My issue with a quarantine tank is that after the fish had been moved to the main tank I would put some nice wood in it and some interesting stones. And then a few plants. Quite a few. And it would look a bit sad without anyone living in it. So I'd get some shrimp - I've never kept shrimp. And a shoal of little fish. And then I'd need a quarantine tank.

And repeat.

My issue with a quarantine tank is that after the fish had been moved to the main tank I would put some nice wood in it and some interesting stones. And then a few plants. Quite a few. And it would look a bit sad without anyone living in it. So I'd get some shrimp - I've never kept shrimp. And a shoal of little fish. And then I'd need a quarantine tank.

And repeat.
You've never kept shrimp? Well that in and of itself is an excellent reason for a new tank!

Here's an example of advantage of a quarantine tank. Several years ago l got l think around 8 Zebra danios and around same number of Black neons there are now one of each left due to old age. Noticed the Black neon losing colour spending time down on substrate near the Corys soon observing the zebra was harassing it at every opportunity. I've moved the Zebra to the quarantine tank for now and the Black neon is looking like it should do with the Glowlights and out in the open

Back