• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Quarentine Pelia showing Fuzz Algae

sr20det

Basically I bought some pads with Pelia on it, and I have put into tubs on window, and within days it looks like strands of 4mm hairs on the tip of the very few leaves on pelia. Its pretty new and pretty flat the pelia, so thought stick it on window to get it going, as I heard it can take a while to grow.

Seeing it isnt in the tank, is there anything I can do to remove it without harming the plant say, will a blackout help. I cange the water in the tub once a week? Also give the mosses in tubs a good wash.

I was thinking maybe chucking in a few Ramshorn snail, not sure if they would take care of it?

Worried that I will be introducing Algae spores into my Low tech tank hence which is algae free at the minute.

Best thing is to pick these out. Leaving mosses on tubs in the sun will cause hair algae growth.
Happened to me last year when I went on holiday for 2 weeks. I lost 15 tubs of various mosses to heavy algae growth and could only recover some.

You can try dosing some excel on it and then manually pick them out.

mlgt said:
Best thing is to pick these out. Leaving mosses on tubs in the sun will cause hair algae growth.
Happened to me last year when I went on holiday for 2 weeks. I lost 15 tubs of various mosses to heavy algae growth and could only recover some.

You can try dosing some excel on it and then manually pick them out.

So fine and small, seems crazzy to try by hand, but might use a small tooth brush and try give them a little rub. Hope thhat does it.

Not a sunny window but gets good daylight, East oor North East Facing I would say. Had mosses in tub for a few weeks on the windows, no algae issues in the moss tubs, only some in my java fern one. But the mosses have responded well on the window, growing well.

Back