• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Question about cherry shrimp

craig mason

Seedling
Hi i bought some cherry shrimp at my local garden centre aquatic dept not sure what they are they were labelled as cherry shrimp i suspect they are "bloody mary"
taken in my aquarium
IMAG0658_1.jpg

taken in aquatic shop
IMAG0652.jpg

Male "Bloody Mary" are also a deep (wine) red - though lately I've seen some stock ship in as "Bloody Mary" that are actually just "Fire Reds" (which seem to be just selected more consistently colored cherry reds)

From Shrimpspot
To me a bloody Mary is a red neocaridina that has been bred from Chocolate neocaridina, like the dream blue/fantasy blue. They are easy to spot as the red shade is completely different from other red neocaridina.

On others reds such as Cherry, Painted Red etc the red colouring comes from the red chromataphores. With Bloody Mary it seems they have a red cuticle instead of chromataphores.

I don't know anything about the breed history but completely agree on the color statements, I have never seen any non-BM offspring from my colony (which sadly I crashed - need some additional stock now which is why I've been noticing the ranging quality in lfs offerings)

Back