• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

question about fitting a bigger korilia pump!

cichlidlover

hi guys,
having just set up my new 240l tank and only having a 305 filter I decided to fit a korilia pump.
after reading up on which size to buy i gave they guys at city aquatics a call, they told me that i would be better fitting 2 x 1600 pumps than a 2800 size as recommended by hydor as it would be to powerfull for my tank! I bought one 1600 size to see what the flow was like before committing to a pair and I am a little disappointed with the flow, it seems very mild!
would I be better buying the 2800 or would it knock my tank about?

thanks

mark

At the moment (well... not right now as I'm changing scape, but u get what I mean) I'm running A Fluval 405, Korilia 1 and a Maxi-Jet 1000. Once my rescape is finished I'll remove the Maxi-jet powerhead and replace it with an Ehiem 2224 so that I have nearly the same turn over, but with the addition of extra filtration. Even then... I'm not sure I'll have enough flow/turnover...

I'm even toying with the idea of getting a more powerful Ehiem filter to get more, as I'm running a AM1000 Co2 reactor on the 405 and also want to add an extra Hydor ET300 heater which reduces the flow rate on the filters.

So... It might be worth investing in another filter as well as the Korillia. But! to answer your original question I would argue that two 1600 will allow you to alter your overall flow more effectively than just one hoofin' 2800.

I'm running 2x2800 koralias, a 1200 canister and a 600 canister.

I don't think its too much at all. I was a little concerned it would be but its fine :)

I have got a 2 x 1600 and found it was moving the manado substrate i use around so i took it apart and removed 1 of the impellers until i get the tank planted up more. However i had an issue with the suckers failing and it decided to aim down and totally destroyed my 4ft tank which im now having to start from scratch. Moral of the story is to make sure it is well attached.

I think i would have preferred to get 2 single 1600 rather than the double 1600 just so i had abit more control over the flow

Carl

thanks for the replies chaps,
I have decided to stick with one 1600 at the back facing the front glass opposite end to the filter outlet , my filter pipes are the new fluval ones that come up through the tank floor and has a double outlet fitting so I can face one down the length of the tank and one facing the front glass. I would like to invest in a Ehiem 3075 pro filter but I don't know if the pipes will fit the fluval fittings...ant ideas?

cheers

mark

Back