• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Question for George

I understand you removed your Juwel Rio 125's hood and bracing. I need to go top less and remove my vision but how did you go about it? I tried the other night and it's really stuck on with silicone. Any tips??

S

I would hazard a guess that George used a razor blade or something very thin and sharp to carefully scrap it off.

That part is trivial, the non trivial part is knowing IF you can get the brace off WITHOUT causing your tank to crack, i.e. it might have been constructed with glass just thin enough that brace was essential, and if you remove the brace the tank would crack. Best to find out the thickness or ask other hobbyists if they have done this without incurring damage.

Does the hood not come off then??? Dammit. I was hoping I could use the hood and stand of a rio 180 for my tank... Poo pants

George Farmer said:
I just ripped it off using brute force and ignorance with my hands. .

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

It really is stuck on though, I tried and tried. I'll give it one last go tonight! If not then I guess its a new tank..... mmmmmmhhh ADA looks nice

Simon Dickenson said:
It really is stuck on though, I tried and tried. I'll give it one last go tonight! If not then I guess its a new tank..... mmmmmmhhh ADA looks nice

Good luck mate.

The opti-white from Aqua Essentials are supplied by the manufacturers to ADA. Not cheap but I hear the quality is second to none.

I'll see for myself this week hopefully, as I'm getting a 60cm for a PFK ste-by-step/review.

I removed the bracing bars from my last tank by using a hacksaw blade to jently saw through the silicon under the bar.

then pulled at the same time as leaverage this makes it a lot easier

DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK THEY ARE THERE FOR A REASON
im was just becoming a sump with low level water.

If they were glass bracing it would be easy ! But the plastic hood is silicone'd on! think I may take a look at these tanks from A E then.....

Simon Dickenson said:
http://www.aquaessentials.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=193_254&products_id=1162

Not a bad price like I thought

HOW MUCH FOR A 3' CUBE?!?!?!?!
And they say planted tanks are cheaper than marine!!

Back