• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Question for Lighting Gurus - PARtoLUX and vice versa.

Angus

Wondering how accurate these conversion charts in the different kelvin ratings and with different bulbs are as obviously a lux meter is quite substantially cheaper than a PAR meter.

Any input valued and appreciated.

Gus.

Hi @Angus

Kelvin is a measure of the colour temperature* of the lighting. And this, in turn is related to the spectrum of the lighting. We see the spectrum of white light every time we look at a rainbow. Richard Of York Gave Battle In Vain - Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Indigo, Violet. The response of the human eye is at its most sensitive with yellow light. However, the plant's 'eyes' see things differently. And this is where it gets tricky. 1 Lux = 1 Lumen per square meter. Lumens are for humans. You probably know all that. PAR is photosynthetically active radiation. A PAR meter ideally 'sees' all colours across the spectrum equally. Each colour corresponds to a wavelength of light - from 400 nanometres (violet) to 700 nanometres (red). As a result of recent research, the upper wavelength limit is now under review.

So, where does this leave us? Unless we know what the spectrum of light looks like, it is not possible to measure PAR. But, approximations can be made. I believe that @oreo57 uses a decent tool for this purpose. For myself, I'm possibly going to purchase an Apogee SQ-520 PAR sensor.

* an explanation of this means talking about black-body radiation. It gets pretty heavy so that's for another day!

I don't know if any of the above is useful to you. But, it's late in the evening - so that's my excuse! ;)

JPC

Ok so i have been doing some reading...
The equation works well for older t8's,t5's and metal halides, but not so sure about LED lighting, also it says blue light is wholly underepresented in the calculation as a LUX meter will register more towards light in the 500-700nm range than the sub 500nm range.

i also found this Convert Lux to PPFD - Online Calculator | Waveform Lighting
edit i see that post has the same calculator :lol:

Back