Question for the Frog Keepers?

Discussion in 'Off Topic / Chit-Chat' started by mattyc, 3 Feb 2010.

1. mattyc

mattyc Member

I am looking into making a frog house to house poision dart frogs (the blue ones) which will be fully planted, does anyone keep frogs that would mind answering a few questions.

1. what are safe plants for the frogs?
    2. what should i look for from the frogs i.e. should they be active etc?
    3. i want to get a male and female, can i do this or should i have 2 females?
    4. what size viv should i get?
    5. do i need uv lighting?

the plants i am thinking of are some moss from my fish tank some HC and some Anubias are there any other plants i can use/the frogs need?

Cheers

2. Jase

Jase Member

Hi Matt, I can't help specifically but perhaps researching http://www.dendroboard.com/ would yield an answer also.

Mods delete this if linking is against the rules :shifty:

3. dw1305

dw1305 Expert

Hi all,
    I don't keep them, but I used to have a colleague who was a keen tree frog breeder. Have a look at http://brianstropicals.com/building.html, the owner (in the USA) is a University micro-biology lecturer, and it is full of some very useful information. This is another German site with some useful info (in English) http://www.terrarientechnik.de/.
    cheers Darrel

4. Roy S

Roy S Member

Hope the answers are ok, give me a shout if you have any more. Dendroboard is OK but is predominantly american, and they tend to have very strong opinions on how people should keep dart frogs. I've found a better site is:

http://www.dendroworld.co.uk

The only snag is I dont think they dont have open membership anymore, as they were just getting too many spam accounts set up. You could Email Jon one of the admin to join, they are a great bunch of knowledgeable people, and also have a good few meets where people sell spare frogs,plants, vivs and loads of other stuff.
    hope I havent waffled on too much

regards

Roy

5. mr. luke

mr. luke Member

Im currently growing out a viv for frogs on a windowsill :D
    Im using pellia, round pellia, riccia fluitans, pico java fern, weeping moss and fissidens sp (uk native)
    Anything that can grow aquatic will be 100% safe toxins wise as will mosses.
    Im going to be keeping mine in a 2 foot high tank thats a wierd shape and holds 30l of water.
    Uv is not a nescecity at all.

6. mattyc

mattyc Member

Cheers Roy you answered all my questions, i will be getting the viv soon co i can put it togeather. do you sell frogs?

I think i will be fine with the aquatic plants, they would prob kill the fish if they were toxic :)

Thanks again for your replys

7. Roy S

Roy S Member

I normally take any surplus frogs I've got to the dendroworld meets, or advertise them on there. I'm resting my pairs for a little while during the cooler months to give them a break, but I've heard a couple of them starting to call, so I'm sure they'll have eggs again shortly :thumbup:

Oh yes...just edited this to add that there will be a dendroworld meet in Runcorn I think around the 25th of april...normally theres a good few frogs, plants and probably a few vivs too.

8. mattyc

mattyc Member

i cant contact anyone on that web site so i cant get onto any of the info, you need to sign in to contact the members!! :(