• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

question on annual plants

jarthel

I have read the entry for "annual plants" in wikipedia. But still have some question if you don't mind :)

I suppose the plant (whether submerged or emersed) just slowly dies and needs to be replaced?

thank you

Annnual (and biennial and other monocarpic plants) tend to have life cycles where they grow for a period of time and then spend all the energy gathered in a period of intense flowering and seed formation. If they don't flower then they tend to carry on growing until they die from the cold weather or lack of some vital need or they try and flower anyway and produce a rather pathetic flower and die.

I'm not aware of any true annual plants we grow in our tanks that will only live a year. We have some plants that die quickly due to some condition not being correct though or go dormant after a while (such as some Aponogeton or Nymphaea but they are perennials that go dormant via bulbs/tubers).

Back