• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Question ref Polarizing Filter?

andyh

Photography people, what are you opinions on the use of cir-polarozing filters when taking photos of tanks?

Good/bad?
use/don't use?
thoughts when using them?

Thanks

Andy

I'm pretty new to photographing tanks so I'm sure there's more experience out there to answer the question. However the main benefit I saw when I tried one was reducing reflections and the main drawback was an increase in exposure required.

Yeah, there are much better ways of reducing glare/reflections.
Unless you have extra lighting via flash or studio units, the exposure penalty is a major drawback which has a higher probability of resulting in blurring or noise due to higher ISO. Of course if you have the extra lighting then this is a moot point.

Cheers,

Ceg more or less has it all down. I wouldn't bother. Spend a little bit of time making sure reflections aren't an issue means a PF is redundant. A decent one will cost a few quid, about 90+ for a 77mm that could go on better things. I've always been taught reflections travel at right angles so position us key.

Andy, I reckon a ND filter would be the way to go. I've recently bought a ND grad filter.

this is only a guess, but are you now taking photos using MH lighting, and they now seem 'fuzzy'?...more than before?
light spill from MH lighting is much more than luminaries. for one, their higher so light spill is much more.

the closer to the tank the more 'spill' you'll get. It's a like a triangle of light. try taping a piece of cardboard the light fitting and let it hang down.

Back