Question to all

Aqua Essentials

Sponsor
Staff member
I'm looking for some assistance from forum members

I'm curious to discover which of your local fish shops stocks freshwater shrimps other than the normal, cherry tiger, red nose etc.

Shop names, and which 'other' shrimp they stock :)

Thanks!

Well I can say that none of the shops up Crews Hill, Enfield stock shrimp, at least not any time that I've been there (and I go a lot). I've only every seen cherry shrimp in the maidenhead aquatics there but that was last year some time. I have also seen bamboo shrimp but that's it.

That's why people like me rely on people like you for excellent shrimp. :D

GreenNeedle

The only shrimp I see including in MA are "freshwater shrimp" No idea what they are but theyre not amanos. They are the ones with visible pincers.

AC

oldwhitewood

The only ones I ever see are the amano ones, often called 'algae shrimp' or 'ghost shrimp' by the retailers.

Wolfenrook

The Hollybush Garden Centre and Aquatics have been known to stock chameleon shrimp (macrobrachium sp.) and macrobrachium lanchesteri, in addition to the usual cherry shrimp and bamboo shrimp.

Ade

JamesM

MA Bridgend have stocked cherry, crystal (low/non grade), black, orange, yellow, red nose, tiger, amano, rock and bamboo. Crystals were the most expensive at £5 each iirc.

LondonDragon

Administrator
Staff member
MA @ Morden: I have seen there the usual amano and bamboo, also seen there red cherries and purchased some sulawesi cardinal (£7 each) there.

Wholesale Tropicals: they stock quite a few varieties, have seen there 3 different species of Sulawesi (Cardinal, Halerquim, and another which I can't recall £7.50 each), red nose, red cherry, crystal red (£3 each), amano, bamboo, ghost.

Aquatic Design Centre: Amano, Bamboo, red nose, red cherry.

a1Matt

MA @ Dartford - get the usual red cherries and amanos in. They also stock some green and yellow dwarf shrimp. I couldn't tell you the exact species, although they look identical to cherries, apart from the colour of course.

They also have some non-dwarf shrimp, but I can't remember any more detail on them other than they are filter feeders.

teg1203

The only shrimp I see locally is cooked with garlic, but they do price out at about 30-50 pence each so not all bad news! :lol:

Seriously though it would be nice to see some more variety on the e-sales/mailorder front.

Garuf

I've seen sulawesi, crs, bumble bee, amano, tiger, rock and "ghost wood" african fan shrimps, ninja, cherry and green in the stoke shops. Never at the same time though. Always passed them by though, never stay alive for me.

howardish

Jst paid a visit to Swallow aquatics - Rayleigh - currently selling what looks like amano shrimp....labeled as Cherry shrimp, though they clearly arent.

oh and they were about £3 each

JazzyJeff

MA @ Farnham had Amanos and Cherry Shrimp in last week when I called in !!!!!! Not many though and not sure of the price !!!