• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Questions about CO2

Roisin

Seedling
Hi all,
I’m getting a 200l tank soon and would like to inject CO2 but I’m a bit confused by it all :confused:
I would like to reduce the costs as much as possible so am going to try and do a diy system, so just want to check I’ve got everything right.
Will I be able to attach this... https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dual-Gau...r-Solenoid-Valve-Aquarium-System/143372575918
..to a diffuser using co2 tubing and then just attach the regulator to a co2 canister?
And with the co2 canister, does anyone have anyone have any recommendations of a large one that will last a reasonably long time (especially with a big tank) and that I’ll also be able to get refilled?
Thank you for reading!

Hi Rosin and welcome to the forum :D

CO2 inject can be tricky to get right as it needs to be stable for it to work and DIY CO2 tends to be unstable in CO2 production so tends to be a waste of money

As to the amount of CO2 used CO2 data base useful guide.

As well worth reading Tuning CO2 by D Wong

As for refills best to find a local suppler who will be able to refill your cylinder. IMO/IME best to have a spare cylinder for when it runs out ;)

Two things to consider, it's a Chinese supplier so any problems down the line will be difficult to resolve (in my opinion) and its not a 2 stage regulator so you may have to be careful to watch for " end of tank dump"
CO2Art or CO2 supermarket both have dual stage regulators.
Any fire extinguisher or pub gas bottle that will fit in your cabinet with the regulator and bubble counter attached will be refillable as long as it's within its test date.
Have a read through some of the threads for more background information.
Cheers
John

like to inject CO2

Welcome to the forum.

CO2 suppliers, try pub/bar suppliers & general bottled gas suppliers. I get mine from the Hereford area £20 returnable deposit on the cylinder and £15 for about 15lbs of food grade CO2. I mention this as a price guide.

CO2 regulator, you need one that fits UK equipment. Many from China are for the US market. Different threads. Two stage are better than single stage pressure reducers but are much more expensive. I have a couple of single stage types and have, to date, no problems with 'end of cylinder dumping'.
One is labelled 'The Barn' the other 'CO2 Supermarket'. Both have two pressure gauges but both are fixed pressure outlet's. Both have cutoff
solenoids which are vital for timing.

A good diffuser system is vital together with about x10 tank volume per hr turnover. Plants need to wave in the breeze. Canister filter outputs are typically not up to it. I use an inline power head directly coupled to an inline diffuser, both in the tank with the outlet to a lengthwise spray bar. In tank plumbing DIY 3/4" plastic overflow pipe and fittings. Pipe work will have plants glued to them in the fullness of time.

Hope this is of some use.

Back