• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Quick Q re removing diatoms

Jack B

Hi all,

When I see diatoms forming on the glass of my tank, can I scrape it off immediately, or should I wait until just before the weekly water change? Not sure of the theory here.

Thanks!

I think it’s better to wait, diatoms don’t go away until you physically remove them or they die out when getting choked by other algae. By scraping it off your just letting it free in the water column until they find something else to attach to.

but you can scrape it if it’s bothering you to look at, just don’t be surprised when it’s back the next day!

Hi all,

When I see diatoms forming on the glass of my tank, can I scrape it off immediately, or should I wait until just before the weekly water change? Not sure of the theory here.

Thanks!

If you are having diatoms (sounds like something you should buy a cream for!) I assume your tank is newly set up.
Don’t do water changes weekly, instead increase the frequency to 2 or 3 times a week. As large as you can muster.

If you are having diatoms (sounds like something you should buy a cream for!) I assume your tank is newly set up.
Don’t do water changes weekly, instead increase the frequency to 2 or 3 times a week. As large as you can muster.
I'm very grateful Siege - thank you. I'll do as many water changes as I can for a while, and give the sump a big clean out.

It's interesting that it's a new tank symptom. Mine has been going since before lockdown...

I'll get together all the details requested for posts in this section before asking more Qs.

My tank was setup just before lockdown, so I don't think of it as newly cycled - but perhaps I'm wrong!

Attachments

• 1596203916600.png
    1596203916600.png
    75.3 KB · Views: 95
Back