• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Quick question about lily pipes?

mattyc

i have a 60L tank (below) and im using a fluval 205 with the ribbed hoses. i belive the fittings are 16mm on the filter.
i want to replace the hose and change over to lily pipes, can anyone recommend some pipes for my tank?
should i stick with larger pipes i.e. 17mm?

Stick with the larger pipe as a number of people have found that the slits on lily pipes restrict the flow anyway so you want as little resistance as possible. 17mm lily pipes with 16/22mm hose should be fine.

thanks Ed.
looking at the sizes of the lily pipes they are a bit too tall for my tank do you think it would look silly with them sticking up above the tank?

mattyc said:
thanks Ed.
looking at the sizes of the lily pipes they are a bit too tall for my tank do you think it would look silly with them sticking up above the tank?

Probably would I'm afraid! Is it the bit inside or outside the tank that's too tall? If it's the outside bit and you were feeling very brave then you could cut the outside part down!

Otherwise you might be forced to go with smaller pipes and accept the loss in flow rate. Stick with the large diameter hose and all you need to do to fit 16/22mm hose onto 12mm pipes is to add a short section of 12/16mm hose over the lily pipe and then the larger hose will fit tightly onto the outside of that hose. I've been using this on a 12mm fitting for a couple of years now and it's never leaked.

the tank is 39 cm tall, i cant find the mesurement of the pipes anymore but it is the inside lenght that is the problem. if i used the Do!Aqua 13mm pipes they would be a perfect fit!!

mattyc said:
the tank is 39 cm tall, i cant find the mesurement of the pipes anymore but it is the inside lenght that is the problem. if i used the Do!Aqua 13mm pipes they would be a perfect fit!!

Use them and just accept the loss in flow mate. Not perfect but seems like the best compromise IMO.

i might even just use a lily out flow pipe in 16mm and the standard black inflow pipe and hide it behind the plants :shh:

Back