Quick question re CO2 hardware setup...

Discussion in 'Carbon Dioxide (CO2)' started by Steve Smith, 13 Mar 2008.

1. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Member

Just wondering if this setup has 1 too many check vavles:

FE/Reg ----> Chk Valve ----> Bbl Counter ----> Chck Valve ----> In tank Powerhead/Needlewheel diffusion

Do I need the check valve between the Reg and the bubble counter? I have one there at the moment as I was using a glass bubble counter which seemed to want to let water drain towards the regulator. I'm changing this to a more standard plastic bubble counter as I don't like the glass one too much (yeah, it looks nice but not so much functionality).

Thoughts?

2. ceg4048

ceg4048 Expert/Global Moderator Staff Member

Hi Steve,
    I can't see anything wrong with that configuration. The extra check valve doesn't hurt and I would always want to protect the regulator/solenoid as it's normally the most expensive unit in the chain. I guess if the new bubble counter has a check function then, yeah the one near the regulator is redundant but I wouldn't fix it if it's not broken. :wideyed:

Cheers,

3. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Member

Cheers Cegepedia :lol:

I figured it wouldn't hurt to have one there, just wondered if it might be one of those cases of "an extra place for CO2 to leak from".

Cheers :)

4. ceg4048

ceg4048 Expert/Global Moderator Staff Member

Yes, that's a valid point but CO2 is cheap in comparison. The Aquatic Gardening check valves used with the black JBL CO2 tubing is pretty darn tight and I never get leaks on either side of the check valve. I don't even use a bubble counter any more. Like you said, those glass ones are just too irritating. I used to have a bubble counter some time ago made by a German outfit named Sera. It was a hermetically sealed double chambered, self checking acrylic model filled with glycerin, and fitted with locking nuts on the spuds. Totally awesome (over-engineered) I loved it but have been unable to find another copy. I never appreciated it until I lost it. :( :(

Cheers,