• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Quiet closed loop pump?

AdAndrews

Hi guys, i am looking for a new pump to be used on a closed loop system for my 35litre, the flow should be around 1000lph, and i dont want to spend too much, have you got any ideas? the most important thing is that it is silent, or near enough, and wouldnt be heard in my cabinet, i am currently running a hydor seltz l30, although you can hear the impeller spinning and ive cleaned it, although that didnt help.

thanks

Everyone always recommends Eheim and for good reason, I'm looking at the aquamedics but reviews aren't at all for coming, but for £30-40 it strikes me as being a great price.

Garuf said:
Everyone always recommends Eheim and for good reason, I'm looking at the aquamedics but reviews aren't at all for coming, but for £30-40 it strikes me as being a great price.

ive noticed the multi use jet pumps, does anyone know if they are any good?

Maxijet? I've used them before but you get what you pay for, they're loud and crude and of varying quality. First one I had was brilliant till I broke the impeller mount. Second one lasted 3 weeks before it broke all of it's own accord.

Ive got a maxi jet 3000 on my marine tank and has ran fine for 2 years, I guess its hit and miss. Cant go wrong with aqua medic and Aquabee sump pumps.

Ive got these options(they vary in flow rate, but they are all within my minimum)

>Eheim 1048 Pump

best price: £39.95-Charterhouse aquatics

pro's: Seems good build, eheim stamp of quality, silent
con's: fairly big pump

>Tunze Recirculation pump Silence (1073.020)

best price: £49.99-FirstStopAquatics

pro's: claims silence when running, small size
con's: Price, massive output(can be turned down apparently)

> New Jet 1200

Best price: £24.95-Charterhouse Aquatics

Pro's: small size
con's: may be poor quality, and loud.

Aqua Medic Ocean Runner 1200

Best price: £40 approx

Pro's: looks nice, quiet, big bulky size
Con's: 16mm hosing

AdAndrews said:
which one shall i go far, im thinking Eheim 8)

If there is not much in it... then maybe look at the wattages, see which one will run the cheapest :)

glenn said:
well i was looking at these yesterday morning-http://aquariums.ltd.uk/Accessory Buy.asp?ID=96&ProdGrp=12
i see you mentioned it, i would go for that one. in the pic it shows it with an atachment for external use and without it for internal use...i think :bored: i was thinking of buying one of the smaller rated ones fro my nano.

the issue with that particular make and model is that its very hard to find information from those who have used it, the main reason i am wanting a new pump is becuase my current one is noisy.

a1Matt said:
AdAndrews said:
which one shall i go far, im thinking Eheim 8)

If there is not much in it... then maybe look at the wattages, see which one will run the cheapest :)

will do matt.

As i said ive used the newjet 3000 and it wasn't noisy but if noise is an issue to u then i wouldnt want you buying one one my recomendation only :lol: just incase.

jonnyjr said:
As i said ive used the newjet 3000 and it wasn't noisy but if noise is an issue to u then i wouldnt want you buying one one my recomendation only :lol: just incase.

sorry, i thought you had used the maxi jet powerheads, :lol: i will have a think about it, thanks for your help

Eheims are almost always silent, I'm going to use the aquamedic and I'll report my findings. Won't be till january though when my opti white arrives.

Back