• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

raging planet of dandelion.

Mark Evans

Expert
here's the first shot from my new Canon MP-E 65mm f2.8 1-5x Macro Lens.

it's a dedicated macro lens, which give stunning results. before judging this, just go and pick a dandelion head and look at closely, then look at this shot. this was @ 1x the lens go's up to 5x! I'm blown away with what it can do. cant wait to shoot some fish and plants ;) .

i always love winter time for images, spiders webs, ice, so i think I'll be pretty busy in the coming months! :D

burningplanetsofdandelion.jpg

cheers Aaron, ever wondered what the centre of a dandelion head looks like?....

i knew the blue background was meant for other stuff that aquarium shots. :p

i've give you warts and all shot....dust. F16....not good for dust on such magnification. 5x

i'm guessing this thread is for techy folk.the 'burst' of light is from the flowery thingy.

sun1.jpg

stuworrall said:
wow, great pics mark. thats one hell of a lens there. I guess youre using the flash heads to get the F16?

stu, you cant imagine how much light is need with this lens. it's F2.8 through out, but at 5 x magnification, the light requirements is frighting. with both 200w heads it's struggling. i took the softbox off and placed both heads real close just to get light.

from what i've read, it's canon's ultimate macro lens, and i think it shows. my efforts are nothing compared to some i've seen taken with this bad boy, but i'll learn

focusing is simply...move the camera backwards and forwards. no auto focus. and @ 2.8 it's manic! F16 shows i need a sensor clean :oops: .

stuworrall said:
lol! I thought it might be a case of that. Ive seen them mounted on racks which are geared to slowly roll the whole calera forwards and backwards for the focus

weve read the same things me thinks. :D i was partially put off by this, but when i read you can hand hold it outdoors in daylight, it swung me. with additional light indoors, it's manageable.

i've been to mothers garden this morning. I've been on my hands and knees and in some strange position trying to get images.

when looking through this lens, life looks so different. mosses look like trees and insects look like horses.

it turns out, this is tricky to use even with slight breeze, but once you've got to grips with it it becomes second nature.

ooo, i also cleaned my sensor.the images are @f2.8 so look a little soft.

moss2.jpg

moss.jpg

mushroom1.jpg

mushroom2.jpg

spidy1.jpg

Mark. those shots are incredible.
A collection of these sort of images would make an excellent book.

Cheers,
James

cheers james. :D i am in pure heaven at the moment. to see life in a different perspective is just stunning. A bugs life.

here's one of a flower from the back garden. it's tiny in reality (as are all the other shots) but you can see the pollen on the head :wideyed: this isn't even the closest setting.

pollen.jpg

sorry folks, for the mad influx of images, but i'm a kid in a sweet shop at the mo.

Back