• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Rain water questions

Some time ago I was home brewing and collecting water from a tiled roof. I was told by the "brewing experts "!!!! That silicone ? in the tiles effects the taste and I need to collect from an corrugated iron roof. I couldn't taste any difference.. Obviously if there is silicone in the tile collected water it doesn't effect the fish.

Dirk

That silicone ?
I assume you mean silicon. Silicon is an element, usually around us in the form silicon dioxide ie quartz and is practically insoluble in water at normal temperature and pressures.

Silicone is an compound of silicon and organic molecules, used to seal sinks/baths and make rubber based compounds. Insoluble in water.

Hi all,
I would think concrete/cement based roof tiles would add extra hardness to the collected water compared to a proper slate roof or a greenhouse roof.
It has some effect, but much less than you might imagine, mainly because the rain-water is only briefly in contact with the roof.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
Hi all,

It has some effect, but much less than you might imagine, mainly because the rain-water is only briefly in contact with the roof.

cheers Darrel
My roof is old (probably 1980's) and every time I clear the gutters of moss there are also significant quantities of course sand eroded from the roof tiles. The calcium carbonate has to be going somewhere and the runoff water seems the most likely candidate. Hopefully, as you suggest, the concentration is very low due to the large volumes of water over a year and the low contact times.

I’ve never tested the rainwater I use apart from TDS. It’s collected from the roof of a large shed with a rubber roof. I’ve been using it for a long time now and the Fish, Shrimps and plants don’t seem to mind it. TDS when I last checked was around 50. The water butt is 210L. I have two of these but the other collects from our main roof which has what I think are clay tiles.

You can some fancy water butts these days.

770682-CC-F21-E-41-FC-B726-B9-EDA32-AA44-F.jpg

Hi all,
My roof is old (probably 1980's) and every time I clear the gutters of moss there are also significant quantities of course sand eroded from the roof tiles.
That should be fine. If you were getting physical lumps of cement (or mortar) in the water butt they would have more effect (because of longer contact time).

cheers Darrel

Tested mine for you, the TDS was 48. Higher than I'd have guessed but I did just connect it and it's just got a downpipe straight off the main roof and has filled mostly from one down pour a month ago and a bit of drizzle so it's probably not very dilute. I think when I collected buckets mid pour it was closer to 30. I don't think the gh is very high though - haven't tested the rain, but I add about 40% hard tap and the tank is still only about 7gh so nothing near 5gh.

So, I have been using RO water for the past 1/2 year or so. but the waste is not really something I like.
Hi @plantnoobdude
Well, not usual but very efficient can be adjusting RO waste flow. First you collect water from clean and also from waste outlets and calculate ratio. Healthy ratio clean to waste can be 1 : 4 or 1 : 5. I have had up to 1 : 10, for every litre of clean water 10 litre was waste. It was totally unnecessary.

An easy remedy is to slap a valve on the waste water outlet and adjust it. It can be adjusted to your preferred ratio. Lesser waste makes the main RO membrane to end its life sooner but they are so cheap now it doesn't matter if it lasts a year less. I have had ROs running at 1 : 1 ratio at later stages, and new ones at 1 : 3 with no harm to their life span.

What kills the main membrane prematurely is insufficient carbon cartridge leaking chlorine.

Older thread but I'm going to move to Rain water and do my bit. ill use the Daphnia Bioassay. In addition, I have been feeding my house plants with rain water this past 6months and I noticed their health is better. No more crispy ends. I read that fluoride from tap water can lead to damaged leaves

Back