• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Rain water suitable for crystals?

Majsa

I’m thinking of setting up my NanoCube 20 for Crystal Black shrimp, but since I haven’t kept any of those “fancy” shrimp before I’m a bit uncertain about water parameters.

I am now keeping Tangerine Tigers in a low tech - 50/50 tap and rain water and they are doing great. The TDS is below 200, and I suspect GH and KH are both about 4 (but would need to measure to be sure). I have no idea about the PH but must be somewhere around 7.5. Would this recipe work for crystals too, possibly with more rain water and less tap, or is the balance between GH and KH bad? Can you otherwise use just rain water and remineralise it to get the KH right? I’d rather not set up a RO system. Filtering the rain water first could be an option, if needed.

Further I’d just use regular rounded gravel or old soil, but with leaf litter.

Would a small amount of CO2 be bad, possibly 24/7?

Hoping to hear your opinions, thanks :)

I used to use pure rainwater water for tangerine tigers and they bred like mad so I’m sure it will be fine for the crystals too.

cheers

Just pure, or did you remineralise it in any way?

My tigers are also breeding really fast, I got 10 in April and now they are everywhere

Just pure, or did you remineralise it in any way?

My tigers are also breeding really fast, I got 10 in April and now they are everywhere
I used pure for a long time with no negative effects. To be fair they also bred like mad in London tap water. I started with 6 and ended up with hundreds of the things.

you can always mix a bit of tap in if the rainwater is too soft.

Back