• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Rain water

brokeLad

hi,

With rain water in such abundance in the uk at the moment I was wondering if it’s cool to soak some big wood in it rather than tap water? Cheers

I've run planted tanks using 100% rainwater very successfully in the past (actually my cleanest and healthiest tank to date), but there are some things to be careful of. Rainwater can be contaminated depending on your collection method. For example, if you collect it from your roof through the guttering, be aware that it will collect any dirt or chemicals it runs though on the way to your collection tank.

It’s collected in a water but fed from a garage flat roof (felt), I’m also by the sea so I’m not sure if that should be considered? Cheers

Hi all,
I've run planted tanks using 100% rainwater very successfully in the past
I've used rainwater in the tanks since the 1970s.
I’m also by the sea so I’m not sure if that should be considered?
It will be fine for soaking the wood, if you use it for water changes you would need a conductivity meter to tell you whether it is salt contaminated.

cheers Darrel

Cheers Guys, I’ll defo soak in rain water and possibly use in tank. My first tank so taking things one step at a time and not rushing to get set up!

I use rainwater as much as possible for my Live foods and to start up new cultures. As it is teaming with life.

Are you all storing rainwater in water butt from guttering from house/garage or special set up??

Thanks to Darrel I’ve been running my 37L Nano almost exclusively on rainwater. I filter it through paper towel into a storage can before use in the tank. Living in a hard water area it’s great not having to keep scraping limescale off the glass and equipment.

Hi all,
Are you all storing rainwater in water butt from guttering from house/garage or special set up??
I just collect it from the house roof, I've got three butts in the back garden (below) and <"two in the front">.

back_wall-jpg.jpg

cheers Darrel

Back