• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Rainwater Prep

I collect rainwater from a covered water butt. I line a funnel with kitchen paper to filter out any large particles but in practice it doesn’t get too dirty. The water is then stored in a couple of ten litre containers indoors to warm up closer to tank temp. It’s then mixed with a little tap water when I do changes just to warm it a little if needed. My rainwater is generally around 50 ppm and when I just measured the tank water it was 90 ppm. Should I be doing anything else? I originally only had cherries in the tank with the plants but now have Corydoras as well. I always have 12% Hydrogen Peroxide in stock and wondered if it would be of benefit to pour a small amount into my storage containers? Also, would it benefit the fish to add a water conditioner and if so which one? The plants seem to need very little in the way of ferts but I’m wondering if I should add anything for the fish? TIA

Why are you thinking of adding hydrogen peroxide?
if cutting your rainwater with two, then you should add a conditioner to neutralise and chlorine etc. Many people, including me, use Seachem Prime with good results.

50, 90ppm of what?

Who knows, I’m just using a basic TDS meter.

The tap water I use for topping up goes through a Britta filter first and amounts to about 5 or 6% of the total so not sure how little chlorine or chloramine that amounts to. I was wondering about H2O2 as a disinfectant to kill anything unwanted.

Back