• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Raised light height but what about intensity?

andusbeckus

I have the Chihiros A Series light and have always had it set 50%. I have since raised the light and mounted it under a shelf for aesthetic reasons and it is now twice as high above the tank as it was before (about 10 inches) but what should I change the intensity to now 100%?

Hi all,
I have since raised the light and mounted it under a shelf for aesthetic reasons and it is now twice as high above the tank as it was before (about 10 inches) but what should I change the intensity to now 100%?
Raise the light intensity, you may have less than 50% of the light intensity that you had before, due to the <"inverse square law">.

cheers Darrel

Hi all,Raise the light intensity, you may have less than 50% of the light intensity that you had before, due to the <"inverse square law">.

cheers Darrel

Thanks Darrel, is there any way to estimate how much I would need to increase it (without any special equipment such as PAR meter) or would trial and error be the way forward.

Trail and error , I would go for 100% ( or 95% if after longer life from LEDs) and just keep a eye out for algae. But with the inverse square law algae should be an issue. Keep on eye on your DC as [CO2] may increase as less light means less CO2 uptake of plants

Trail and error , I would go for 100% ( or 95% if after longer life from LEDs) and just keep a eye out for algae. But with the inverse square law algae should be an issue. Keep on eye on your DC as [CO2] may increase as less light means less CO2 uptake of plants

I actually tried 100% at first as I thought that sounded about right but my rocks were green within 4 days so I put it to 50% for now. Will try upping it slowly over a longer period I think.

Chihiros A Series ligh

Had a look on the internet to see what this light looks like. I would assume that it could fall between a linear light source and an infinite flat plane, with a strong bias to the linear.

Point source is inverse square of the distance from source to object.

Linear is inverse distance from source to object.

Infinite flat plate there is no reduction with distance.

Go for linear and play around with intensity, there is no easy maths with this one. Note the above statements assume no interference from the medium between the light source and the object.

Back