• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Raising Amano Larvae

clansley

Saw one of my females were berried, so thought I would give it a try. I will try to post updates, even if it all ends in failure.

I'm 3 weeks in (since seeing berried female), 11 days since transferring some larvae to marine tank. There seems to be 10-15 new larvae everyday, which isn't what I was expecting, I was expecting more of a big bang.

I was hoping I would have green water in the marine tank before the first larvae appeared, but 2 weeks just wasn't enough time. May have been better if I had gotten a culture.

So instead I'm feeding them brought algae (Nannochloropsis, Tetraselmis suecica, Chaetoceros muelleri ) and also Seachem Reef Phytoplankton (Isochrysis Sp, Thalassiosira Weissflogii, ...)

Last edited:
This would be my first attempt at marine - so the risks are high.

I was in a hurry, so ordered what I could get next day, salt mix is: iQuatics Ocean Reef Pro Marine Saltwater Coral Premium Aquarium Salt, which I'm mixing with RO water.
I'm aiming between 30-35 ppt, I'm thinking I will aim for 32 and will dilute it with RO water when it hits 34.

3 things I've learnt:
  1. the cheap Refractometer I got needs calibrating before every use - I have almost made drastic changes before realising it was a bad reading from the refractometer!
  2. fresh marine salt tends to have an ammonia reading! (not a problem on a fully cycled tank)
  3. never use marine water right away, alway let it age for a few days.

I use a magnifying glass in one hand and a large Syringe in the other to catch the larvae and move them to the marine tank.

I also brought a glass hydrometer - due tomorrow. Got worried about the refractometer I have, since it won't stay calibrated.

Decided to make a reference solution of 35 ppt, and test the refractometer with it; first calibrated with RO water, then place the test on it, it read 36ppt, which is good enough :)

Even though the female is back in the main tank, I'm still checking the hatching tank. Good job, I found 4 new larvae. Checked the main tank too, just in case, and found none.
Checking involves: turning off all filters/airstones/lights, and shining a bright torch. They can take them some time to arrive (depending on tank size), but I tend to wait 5 mins max.

Getting an ammonia and nitrite reading, been adding prime to detoxify them. Larvae tank is not cycled, I may be adding too much food (algae) too. Water changes involve air hose with an air stone (so the larvae isn't sucked out).

Tested the (Sera Marin) glass hydrometer, I think I have a bad one.
RO water tested at 1.001 (1.32 ppt), DIY 35ppt solution tested at 1.024 (31.8 ppt) - maybe I'm doing something wrong.
1601209290291.png
1601209310827.png

The larvae tank is reading at: 1.021 (27.8ppt), which is out side of the recommended range! :eek:
1601209448252.png

Whilst the cheap refractometer is saying:

DIY 35ppt solution: 36 ppt (1.0271)
larvae tank: 31 ppt (1.0233), within recommended range.

This is so hard when using cheap home test equipment :D

Interesting curious how it works out.. I tought about trying to breed amano's for myself as they are pretty costly if you want a bunch..

I've spent too much for this to be a good idea for saving money - unless you want a lot of them :). But if you already ran marine tanks then it might work out better.

As an example:
- Salt: £22.95
- Refractometer (test salt level): £16.99

Other costs are for a light, air pump - but I had these hanging around as spares anyway.
I found I didn't need a heater since the light (which is on 24/7) seems to be heating the water. Although I did use the heater in the hatching tank where the female lived for a few weeks.

I've spent too much for this to be a good idea for saving money - unless you want a lot of them :). But if you already ran marine tanks then it might work out better.

As an example:
- Salt: £22.95
- Refractometer (test salt level): £16.99

Other costs are for a light, air pump - but I had these hanging around as spares anyway.
I found I didn't need a heater since the light (which is on 24/7) seems to be heating the water. Although I did use the heater in the hatching tank where the female lived for a few weeks.
Yes that's pretty expensive. But last time I bought like 30 shrimp and they cost about 3,50€ each.. They where small when I put them in and the apisto was all to happy with them. Lucky the most of them survived and now they are to big for him and hé doesn't brother anymore..

So if I ever ever get a lager tank maby it would be nice to farm my own

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G920F met Tapatalk

A further 4 larvae found in the female-less hatching tank.

I brought another glass hydrometer, this one was zero on RO water, and matched the previous one for the readings! :eek:

So maybe the previous one wasn't dodgy after all, and perhaps my larvae tank is out of recommended range! :eek:

I think I will raise the salt level by 3 ppt.

Back