Raising Cory Fry

jameson_uk

I have had a number of attempts at raising Cory Fry but they always seem to end when the fry reach 1cm. I now have three fry left in my grow out tank after fishing the largest one out today and it was exactly 1cm

I wasn't sure if this was diet and this time I have been trying to feed some Grindal Worm. Not sure how much to feed them though. They only seem interested when I use tweezers to almost place them on their heads. I have been trying to ensure I see all of them eat at least one worm but is this enough? I am also adding Hikari first bites and instant baby brine shrimp.

Is it just a fact that the numbers that make it are low or am I missing something?

dino21

Hi,

You might have seen my Dwarf Cory thead below where to my surprise we have several young ones appearing in our small community tank.
https://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/pygmy-cory-new-arrival.61424/

The tank only get standard dried and frozen foods in the usual way, with some small catish pellets, yet they appear to be growing well.

Could it be that you grow out tank is too 'clean', not having any plants or algae growth they might need ?

sparkyweasel

Could it be that you grow out tank is too 'clean', not having any plants or algae growth they might need ?
That could be it. You could try using leaves (catappa, oak, beech) to get some microfauna going in your grow-out tank. It's good if they can graze between meals.

Do you start feeding the Grindal worms along with their first foods? It might help them to recognise them as food. eg: if you start them on microworms, mix a few Grindal in with the micro when you think the fry are big enough to take them, rather than change from microworms to Grindal.

Can you give us some more details of how you raise them? Also, what species of Cory?

jameson_uk

They are Sterbai Cory.

It is a 18"X10"X10" tank I setup, added about 2cm fine sand and a Hamburg Matten Filter. There is a covering of frogbit and several alder cones.

Previously I have tried in a 2l HOB type breeder that was plain bottom. I didn't have any live food but the results were the same, I got them to 1cm but no more.

I forgot that I have also been using some liquifry.

I will add some leaves from main tank (there are some catappa and oak leaves in there).

sparkyweasel

I can't see anything wrong there.
Some people don't like Liquifry, but I do, and I've raised Corys on it.
Have you got any moss in your main tank? That's usually full of tiny life too.
I take it you're doing water changes.
I'm a bit baffled as you've had the same problem in two different set-ups.
Hopefully some-one will have some more ideas.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Pygmy Cory, new arrival ! Fish 7
C Golden Lazer Cory Price Fish 7
Christoffer Can Cory live in my water? Fish 10
A Poorly Cory Fish 7
R Corydoras fry found in cannister filter, advice please Fish 13
J Fry Fish 9