• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Raising pH

Ags11

My pH is a bit low right now, it is trending down to 6 and i would like moderate it to closer to 7. I have looked at Tetra PH/KH Plus, but would rather go for a natural solution like adding some kind of small stones. Would rather not add gravel as I may want to remove the rocks afterwards! Would this work, and which stones should i look at?

I think if I go down the Tetra PH/KH Plus I will end up in an endless cycle of pH tweaks.

I think if I go down the Tetra PH/KH Plus I will end up in an endless cycle of pH tweaks.

Or do a DIY remineralizer

for the dose of 5ml per 20L of the Tetra PH/KH Plus with your own salts would have the same effect and save some money
1600890353263.png

I only have a small sponge filter, so I think the real problem is exposing the carbonate to enough flow. I think I will go for the Tetra product and look at mixing my own salts down the line.

K2CO3 is very soluble so cant see that being an issue - thats all the Tetra product probably is ;)

make you own 250ml bottle and dose the same
1600892992954.png

1600892823580.png

For £0.50p per litre ;) the tetra product is just another example off expensive water

Was think about 'Tetra PH/KH' Plus last night and at first I though was cant clone it as we don't know what they used, then the penny dropped :banghead::oops:

Ions are ions and it doesn't matter where they come from, as to get the dKH increase in this case its all about [CO3] in the tank, they don't tell us the [CO3] on the product or the CO3% but they do tell us the dKH change with a certain dose and that's all we need to clone it.

So will have another re-mineralising agent on the 'clone' list on release :thumbup:

Hi all,
Was think about 'Tetra PH/KH' Plus last night and at first I though was cant clone it as we don't know what they used....
Sodium carbonate (Na2CO3) or sodium bicarbonate (NaHCO3) would be my guess, just because they are likely to be cheaper than their potassium (K) equivalents, even if they are less suitable for the planted tank.

It will definitely be sodium or potassium, because only the group one (alkali metals) <"form soluble carbonate salts">.
Ions are ions and it doesn't matter where they come from, as to get the dKH increase in this case its all about [CO3] in the tank, they don't tell us the [CO3] on the product or the CO3% but they do tell us the dKH change with a certain dose and that's all we need to clone it.
Yes, exactly that, it doesn't matter what the original salt was, it is only the change in dKH value that is important.

Because K+ is a much more useful/less harmful ion for us (than Na+) you really only need to give weights for KHCO3 and K2CO3.

cheers Darrel

Because K+ is a much more useful/less harmful ion for us (than Na+) you really only need to give weights for KHCO3 and K2CO3.

Think we could do with adding Potassium bicarbonate as it would also be handy, think CaCO3 is still useful even though its solubility is low as its a nice way to get a bit more Ca ions in the tank.

The only 'headache' calculator side is deciding whether to let CO3 or K drive the 'headshot' in the calculator, the 'Headshot' is the maths that sorts the grams out from a weekly target yield in ppm. Will need to have a think on it as we are trying to stop more to the calculator ATM unless its straight forward otherwise we will never get it done.

Back