• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Rams - how hard are the really?

st.john

Love the look of these and the way they behave but have read many horror stories about how fussy and hard they are to keep. 350 ltr tank jungle/heavy planted area. Water is relatively high CaCo2.
Any advice and experience is really appreciated.
I am slowly slowly starting to stock the tank starting in a couple of weeks (planted up a week ago and filter been running 2 weeks). IF i go go for the BR's i will stock them in a month or two i guess..
Thanks

Water is relatively high CaCo2.
sorry I've no idea what this means :)

stories about how fussy and hard they are to keep.

I have 5 line bred ram juveniles presently, bought as a group of 5 several weeks ago.
I quarantined in a bare tank for a week or so, treating for external parasites initially (as I noted a few in the shop tank with rapid, slightly labored respiration) & just monitoring thereafter.
After impulsively buying these rams :eek: (which had only landed the night before), I quickly set up a Q tank with wood & media stolen from existing tanks, did frequent water changes ...

I bought these fish as they had the nicest conformation I've seen in any M ramirezi in ages - good eye/body balance (not stunted or growth hormoned), suitable juvenile coloring (not hormoned for color dispaly), they were bright & active.
Over the weeks they haven't disappointed - they are first to the front of the tank when I walk over, into everything (shrimp have disappeared - perhaps forever :( )
They are just reaching the stage where I'd expect to see fin extensions in the boys - time will tell if I managed to select a mix of male & female - at the time I looked for a mix of sizes, clear fins, some more dominant individuals, some more retiring.
The fish I bought have light gold heads & pale translucent bodies with outstanding blue/green iridescence & were simply labelled as "gold rams" (which they aren't ;))

I prefer wt (wild type) blue rams but haven't seen any in ages with decent conformation - batches of supposed wild caught rams were over sized & oddly shaped :banghead:

I think these fish do better in groups, especially as juveniles (don't try to keep a single juvenile ram), a "pair" might spawn together, then separate & choose other partners, other times a successful pair will claim the whole tank - understanding how to set up a tank for dwarf cichlids to delineate territory is important (Hint: apistogramma.com & input "ramirezi" into the search engine, "search titles only" )

I don't think M ramirezi are a difficult fish to keep (though they aren't beginner fish) - clean water, suitable tankmates, suitable tank décor :)
Perhaps the key is buying decent stock ... hormoned fish have often sustained permanent organ damage, extended medicating with acriflavine (& others) will also cause organ damage & sterility (some farms still raise fish in antibiotic baths) ...if you can find locally bred stock, they are likely worth the drive.

A Quarantine/Hospital tank is well worth setting up

This article was written for Discus but is a good foundation for any fish
Symptom Based Treatment of Common Discus Diseases by Dionigi Maladorno
(thanks to Dave H for continuing to host this fantastic article)

M ramirezi by Seriously Fish

ahhh.. sorry, It should have read CaCO3 -calcium carbonate - what makes water hard!
Thanks for the reply! Makes good reading. I may look for a paired up couple in a few weeks/months. I like the look of the bolivian rams as well, if not more.
Thanks.

Back