• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Rams, male or female?

mouseybutts

Seedling
Hi, just got 2 rams, the seller said they were probably male and female but were too young to really know. The smaller one is very dull and nudges the bigger one away but they don’t fight, the bigger one just moves away, sometimes they swim together.

Attachments

• 606BF7D0-7E9A-4077-B2FE-06CE7B993753.jpeg
    606BF7D0-7E9A-4077-B2FE-06CE7B993753.jpeg
    220.1 KB · Views: 251
  • D0F60249-EF3F-4008-864F-DD9C282CE38E.jpeg
    D0F60249-EF3F-4008-864F-DD9C282CE38E.jpeg
    280.2 KB · Views: 158
I would feel confident the blue ram is male. Pretty disappointing you were sold representatives of 2 different species ostensibly as a pair.

best wishes. Ian

Hi, thank you. The Bolivian is attacking him and won’t let him near food and he now has white spots on fins. Am trying to get it out of tank but darts every time I go near tank.

Yes, six or more Rams would be good if your tank is big enough, and well-furnished.
If you do manage to get one male and one female, there's no guarantee that they will like each other. Or that they will get on all of the time. You need to have the tank scaped so that they can stay out of each other's sight when they want to, and with more hiding places than the number of Rams.

I would not purchase any more Rams from your current source. I had problems with GBR's until I connected with a quality breeder. Go on to YouTube and look for the YouTuber "The Dave" and watch his video the "Secrets of the German Blue Ram (What You Need to Succeed), when I was new to Rams I watched it many times, as did my cat.

Back