• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Rapid CRS Deaths

Krishs Bettas

Hi Everyone,

Over the past week i have had 1 or more shrimp die each day. The tank is 20 litres and i do a 6 litre water change a week. The tank is fully cycled and has been running for 4 months.
I dose 1ml ADA Brightly K, 1ml of Tropica NKP and 1ml of Easy Carbo a week.
The TDS is 162, GH is 4.5 and KH is 2 and the ammonia level is 0.
It has only started in the past 2 weeks as the temperature has increased and i was thinking if this is the cause of the deaths.

Hi,

The temp can be a problem mainly because it can increase the chance of bacterial blooms in shrimp tanks which has been reported to be the cause of shrimp deaths from spring to summer.

There has been discussions regarding this phenomenon in a thread of PFK and the link is below. The link provided by tpot in the thread does not work anymore but the discussion should be of interest to shrimp keepers.

http://forum.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/showthread.php?t=88249&highlight=bacterial bloom

Have you seen moults in the tank? I would suggest that your gh is too low and your kh too high and might cause moulting issues. If it is the higher temps you could add an air stone as the higher temps result in reduced oxygen in the water. You could try adding ice cubes to your tank to reduce the temp but be cautious as your tank is so small any changes might happen quickly and stress the shrimp further.

Back