• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Rate my setup. Suggestion welcome

Jackson Man

Seedling
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B32ye3073Y7KcXJDemVlR05hNkU

I'm an aquascape amateur and would like some opinion. This tank have been planted for about 2 months. But the hard scape doesn't look right. Would also like to add a few more plants to the background.

Currently have about 12 neons and 10 RCS with couple of babies and berried mums.

Also have a snail problem as well, any sugesstion?

Attachments

• IMG_9540.JPG
    IMG_9540.JPG
    273.7 KB · Views: 157
Last edited:
No worries, I am looking at thinking it's starting to look really good and wondering what if anything I would suggest. Things look to be growing nicely and pretty good balance of colours and hardscape. I would suggest it may be worth a trim of your stem plants at the back to try and get them to bush out a little and watch the growth for another month.

To bulk out the back I would build up the plant species you have in honesty. Having too many causes discontinuation although different varieties of the same species in bunches for slight shade and leaf size work well.

I think the biggest problem may be going from foreground to background with no mid ground in height. You could try to grade your substrate from front to back more to get some extra height in the mid ground or plant some more medium stem plants mid distance.

Thanks for the advise.
I agree that the back looks a bit bare at the moment because the A. Reineckki has just starting to pick up after a massive melt.
I'm looking for a bushier background plant i.e. Pogo Erectus, just wonder if it's hard to maintain?

Any suggestions with midground plants?

I would add some short red plants in the middle-midground, to the right of your wood piece.

Your scape looks very nice, and will look even better as soon as your plants have grown in. One thing I would change is to tie/glue the Java on the wood, but that's just me.

What Javas are the ones you have in your tank?

Yes, there are some hatchets, nice spotting.

Will definitely get some floating and mid ground

Hi all, Or staple some moss to the front of the bog wood.

Possibly some floating plants to make the Marbled Hatchets feel more at home?

cheers Darrel

By stapling, do you literally mean staple it? Because I have been thinking how to attach moss in a solid piece of wood?

I would add some short red plants in the middle-midground, to the right of your wood piece.

Your scape looks very nice, and will look even better as soon as your plants have grown in. One thing I would change is to tie/glue the Java on the wood, but that's just me.

What Javas are the ones you have in your tank?

Thanks,the moss that I tied to the wood is phoneix moss, hopefully it will attach well to the wood

Looks good, I like the black background, is it painted? It could do with being filled in a bit more. Spadeleaf plant aka gymnocoronis spilanthoides could be an option. You would only need a couple of plants and the cuttings would sort you out. I don't know what the red plant is but I think it looks out of place, that's just me though.

Looks good, I like the black background, is it painted? It could do with being filled in a bit more. Spadeleaf plant aka gymnocoronis spilanthoides could be an option. You would only need a couple of plants and the cuttings would sort you out. I don't know what the red plant is but I think it looks out of place, that's just me though.

Thanks mate, the tank was an unwanted tank from a neighbor, the back was sprayed black. The red plant at the back is Alternanthera Reineckii Pink. I agree that it's a bit out of place. When I first planted there it was quite nice and bushy, then because I have way more plants then livestock, the macro wasn't quite keeping up, so it melt big time, now I've start dosing macro as well and it start to come back to life.
I'll see how it goes but might end up pulling them out.

Thanks for your suggestion, will definitely give them a go.

If you're still not happy with it I would recommend googling what natural environments you like most and trying to mimic them in some sort of fashion. I was going to add a couple comments but it seems like you really enjoy this so I'll be a bit more vague - think about height of your substrate and different layers as a result. When you have more height you give yourself the option to use a lot more variety of plants to make the tank appear more full - what wouldn't normally be a background plant suddenly becomes one and so on with foreground and mid ground as well. Good luck! Hope to see some updates =).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back