• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Ray's 90cm - Growing Pains Over?

Re: Ray's 90cm Asian Theme Journal - Look - No Aglae!

Lots of obvious potential here. Like you said, just need the crypts to grow out.
Good choice with rummynose, and false neons (green neon tetra). if you go for green neons, then I think you might be out of luck with the altums. The neons will end up as expensive treats :wideyed:

Looking good, got a full frontal?

I think Rummynoses are a good choice, nice fish. Like jay said, Altums would be out of the question with Neons because they are quite small fish (altough I have heard that they grow slightly bigger than common Neons, so if they grow to 5cm then they'll be fine). Personally, I would go for Cardinals or common Neons because I've heard that they live together with Rummies in the wild, and I prefer them anyway.

Rams are great fish too! Nice one.

your tank looks really good ray and the plants are looking awesome!

keymaker said:
Ray, what do you feed to the Otos? They look really nice and fat. Did you consider getting some SAEs? (My SAE is always chasing away the little Otos from the spirulina mix, thus starving them lately.)
Once a week I drop in a couple of JBL algae pellets, in case they are missing some vitamin or something, but they are quite fat enough without. I still get surface film without agitation so I figure there must also be plenty of leaf and glass film to eat :D
Garuf said:
I'm with Mister Saintly, sand maintenance is key. I love it Ray, I'm glad you've got over your algae problems, it fills me with hope.
Really love the scape and can't wait to see if fully matured.
Garuf, I'm touched - you are one of the most honest critics on UKAPS, so if I'm winning you over, I must be doing something right :wideyed:
saintly said:
wow, loving it ray. balansae coming on too. its good to see you've over come your algae problems its good all the way in now :D just keep an eye on your sand maintenance. i fell prey to this one.

any chance of a full frontal?
OK, ok, coming up... Everyone else, thanks for your kind words :D

Re: Ray's 90cm Journal - Photo's 6-12-08

Day 108
DSC_0005.jpg

DSC_0012-1.jpg

So I finally added 12 Rummy Nose Tetra's a week ago now. I really like these guys - they school nice and tight up and down the tank. It was mayhem for the first 2 days because the Ottos have similar striped tail markings to the rummies so we had rummies acting like Ottos and vice versa in one seething mass of fish. Anyway, everyone has figured out who is who and normal behaviour has resumed.
You can see on top left rummie a white spot on his adipose fin, a few of them have a spot somewhere. Not sure if this is ich or not, but the temp is now 28 degrees and I'll push it up to 30 tomorrow and add some aquarium salt. My post on ich: http://www.ukaps.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3835

The plants are growing well and I am starting to be quite pleased as the crypts continue to fill out the the background cover slowly pushes upwards. I also added a stem, just for fun. I think its Pogostemon Stellata, really beautiful, trimmed it after this photo, so I can have half a dozen entwined in the wood.
DSC_0006.jpg

VFirst view I see as I enter the room is down the tank. If I get back from work too early, the view is hazy, it only clears halfway through the light cycle. By lights off the water is as you see it now. My post on cloudy water: http://www.ukaps.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=3755
DSC_0015-1.jpg

Saintly was good enough to send me some moss, which I used to make moss stones, you can see it here in the full frontal view along the edge of the sand. I need to do something about having fissidens and flame moss on the same branch, its not right. Also I'm tempted to get some anubias to grow up out of the water from the emergent wood. Not too sure about LHS either, but I'm giving it some more time.
DSC_0003-1.jpg

ray, you got it going on there my friend! looks quality. nice images too. rich deep colours the crypys are looking the biz along with everything else for that matter.

i'm with you on the left hand side...it does need something, but what? it appears to me the no. of plant varieties on the right far out way the drawing the eye directly to the right. im sure you'll think of something to combat it ray.

from my experience with anubias near the light, it worked fine. it encouraged ridiculous growth. 1 plant had 3 flowers on it within 3 weeks it was there.but they can be prone to algae on the leaves apparently.it may throw the look of the tank also :D

hope i dont sound negative ray, cus it looks sweet!

i really really like this tank, the layout is superb. i can never find any decent bits of wood :(

Looking good Ray. 8) Definitely worth the effort. Happy that you persevered. :D

Cheers,

Looking great Ray :) glad you recovered well from all the algae issues :)
How about moving the Pogostemon Stellata to the left hand side? a bunch of it there would complete that side of the tank and might look cool, just an idea.
Keep us posted :)

Nice!

There definately isn't someting right though... I think it's because the left hand side is too low? Maybe add some taller plants there and it'll look better.

For those of you wondering how rummies school (video link):

image.out?imageId=media-v16944794fsbTRk9r1229463869Med.jpg

10 days at 30 degrees, plus 1 tsp salt/40 litres killed off the whitespot but the reduced oxygen dissolution plus no water changes has made my cloudy water worse. Doesn't even clear at the end of the light cycle. I've added an extra litre of EffiSubstrat Pro to the filter, but I've had enough. I'm ordering a UV unit off ebay.

Thanks those of you who commented on the LHS, I'll let it grow a while longer before I do something. Also, had a request for a plant list, let me see what I can do after Xmas. Meantime, happy holidays and thanks for looking.

happy christmas ray,

great little vid.i was tempted to get some rummy nose tetras, but im still unsure.

those crypts look great. the only thing i would say?....hose the sand!

happy new year

mark

They suit this scape so well, brilliant fish choice. The tank is looking great! Your tank is crying out for some Cories, though.

Nice video. The Pogostemon Helferi looks really vibrant. And the fish look healthy. You've been through quite a lot. I'll bet you're looking forward to putting your feet up.

aaronnorth said:
those red crypts are so lush and beautiful, what species are they?

Themoleus said:
They look like Cryptocoryne wendtii, probably 'brown' type.

Close - Cryptocoryne wendtii 'Mi Oya' apparently. The "fun" of crypts is depending on conditions in your tank you can never tell how they will turn out. When I put everything in I had no clue, I was pretty dismayed when these ones came out bright red, but actually, I really like them now.

Today I was very briefly at the Green Machine on the way to Chester. Lovely people, lovely place - I could have stayed all day chatting to Jim and Graham but unfortunately had a car full of impatient kids/wives/mothers and we were just passing... Managed not to spend much this time, just got some frogbit to try, maybe I'll drop the CO2 and go floating plant low tech like Dusko ;) I forgot to ask for a new check valve for my recactor to see if it stops the "pop pop" noise too, bother... My wife rather liked the altums over the rams so possible U turn on fish choice there...

The jungle tank is looking fabulous, Graham has done a great job, school of SAEs circling the whole tank was really impressive. Also was suprised to see hatchet fish in an open tank, apparently they don't jump out, which suprised me - I'd love some in mine but I'm fairly sure I'd see them take flight accross the living room! Jim's lean dosing in the Iwagumi would have Clive horrified.

scottturnbull said:
You've been through quite a lot. I'll bet you're looking forward to putting your feet up.

Yup :D

Thomas McMillan said:
Your tank is crying out for some Cories, though.
Will they mess up my sand and stir everything up? Must say I do like them.

Back