• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Re-education.....

If you were thinking of replacing this tank, what would you replace it with?....

• Total voters
Are these to be used only if you use co2. Could I have one in my low tech tank? What is the benefit to having one of these?
Cheers Lee

They increase oxygen levels and are supposed to kill green algae cells though the science is a little hazy on how / how effectively, that said people who try them do tend to stand by them!

Go for the Chihiros Doctor same thing fraction of the price, Both me and Tim use the Chihiros reators on our twinstars and they work fine. I have both the Chihiros and Twinstars both running Chihiros reactors. Loads on E-Bay
Agreed.

I have the chihiros doctor v4 and it's very versatile and useful to add O2

Are the Chihiros as reliable, and build quality as good as the twinstar? I don’t want to buy the chihiros and wish I’d gone for the twinstar however I’m all for making a saving if they perform the same task :)

Thanks,
Ady.

Bolbitis throwing out a few submerse leaves.....

A71B2356-5CC5-4F29-B994-30F5E27699A4.jpeg

Are the Chihiros as reliable, and build quality as good as the twinstar? I don’t want to buy the chihiros and wish I’d gone for the twinstar however I’m all for making a saving if they perform the same task :)

Thanks,
Ady.

I think you'll find the answer in the fact most people with twinstars are replacing their reactors with the chihiros versions when due for replacement with no ill affects, not heard of anyone having issues with the main control unit as well

I think you'll find the answer in the fact most people with twinstars are replacing their reactors with the chihiros versions when due for replacement with no ill affects, not heard of anyone having issues with the main control unit as well
Thanks Kalum, with over £100 saving I may put up with the slightly less polished aesthetic of the chihiros if it is going to do the same job :thumbup:

Like @Zeus. mentions I use the Chihiros reactor with the Twinstar brain and it works just as well. I looked at it this way...the Twinstar reactor on its own costs as much as a complete Chihiros unit, so if the combo didn't work I'd just buy the Chirhiros brain as well and still have spent similar money; at the time a little less actually. If I was going to buy again, I'd just go for the entire Chihiros unit. From what I can gather they do exactly the same thing...and I think the aesthetic of the Chihiros is fine. The other thing is that the wire on the Chihiros reactor is quite a bit longer so it's much easier to hide the brain, or position it and the reactor strategically than the Twinstar, especially with a deep tank.

Thanks @Tim Harrison :thumbup: some good info especially regards the wire although I was considering that hang on bracket thing also for the twinstar just because it looks :cool:......I’ve heard they are a bit frail though.
I’m pretty much decided to go for the chihiros now as the saving is just too large to ignore. Next thing is I guess find a supplier, likely all eBay jobbies I guess but are there any uk suppliers/sites at all? Need to decide on 3rd or 4th generation also?

Cheers again all :thumbup:

Last edited:
I just ordered another one from a chinese seller on ebay (bluestone001) a couple of days ago, £34 all in

no UK sellers as far as i know (some on ebay but they will just double handle from China anyway). Last one i bought was from Hinterfeld but obviously can't now

’ve heard they are a bit frail though.
Yeah, I know what you mean Ady, but I don't think either would survive a drop test :D
I buy my reactors from eBay, usually via Hong Kong, I think there maybe a few UK sellers. It's a shame Hinterfeld have gone out of business, even the eBay shop has closed.

I use the chihiros doctor 3 because I have one, would I buy another one? No.
I have purposely used it on and off for around a year now and to be honest aside from adding O2 to the water I don't think they have any noticeable effect on anything else. I only say this about added O2 because I noticed my plants seem to pearl more when I run the chihiros.
The are also ok if you stick them below your Lilly pipe to check the flow/ distribution around your tank:).
This is the only difference I have found. Don't get me wrong added O2 isn't a bad thing and I suppose the chihiros is around the same price as a decent air pump, but the reactor is just another piece of equipment you have to stick on the side of the tank.o_O.

Little video.....
Best changed to higher resolution if possible :)

Cheerio,

Last edited:
I use the chihiros doctor 3 because I have one, would I buy another one? No.
I have purposely used it on and off for around a year now and to be honest aside from adding O2 to the water I don't think they have any noticeable effect on anything else. I only say this about added O2 because I noticed my plants seem to pearl more when I run the chihiros.
The are also ok if you stick them below your Lilly pipe to check the flow/ distribution around your tank:).
This is the only difference I have found. Don't get me wrong added O2 isn't a bad thing and I suppose the chihiros is around the same price as a decent air pump, but the reactor is just another piece of equipment you have to stick on the side of the tank.o_O.
Yep, o2 would be the only reason I’d want one, not for any miracle algae cure. I have a lot of surface movement but I’d like to have extra oxygen available for the critters if possible.
Cheerio,
Ady.

The H. Pinnatifida seems to be ‘gripping’ the wood with new roots already......interesting to see as the roots don’t appear to be acting in a hanging way but actively wrapping around the wood to anchor itself. I guess this is why it can be used as an epiphyte :cool:

C0DBADA1-4668-41E1-B11E-126E6A24EB53.png

Back