• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Re-education.....

If you were thinking of replacing this tank, what would you replace it with?....

• Total voters
Hi ady i am back also and thinking i want to try again soon, we were both on here very often, tank is looking great and hope to speak more soon i will be keeping eye on thread

Cheers dean

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
Good to see you back, good luck with the tank, you got the tank still or have your eye on a new set up?
Cheerio,

This is something to behold Ady, coincidently, I’ve also centred my new project on Congo tetras, they are truly amazing. Will be taking inspiration on plant choice from yours. Dialled in mate, watching with great interest.

Yeah, something is off balance as plant health is not optimum nor has it been. A lack of shrimp population effects the mosses in particular I’ve found but the Congo’s find them a tasty snack so they aren’t at their most efficient in this tank. I did add some rotala green a while ago to try to help balance things out however it never established either making me realise something is out of kilter.

I should have taken a before shot but unfortunately didn’t.......I’m sure it won’t be too long until I get the opportunity again :eek::p:oops:

Same old.....

Stunning aquascape Andy :thumbup:

Good to see you back, good luck with the tank, you got the tank still or have your eye on a new set up?
Cheerio,
No tanks or gear at all got rid of everything a while ago so will be starting from scratch. I am thinking a nano and try my luck then eventually a larger tank maybe when get a larger house as limited space with 2 kids. Great to see you back at it mate.

Dean

Picture update, new fish, plants filling in more and still not getting enough attention to make it immaculate however it’s fun to watch :D

FDF76B88-0413-4F84-AFD9-AE000C885D09.jpeg

5A1EC069-B9D6-4334-B30A-468B57F7F040.jpeg

Water change.....
62D1731B-344F-47BA-AEA4-41511568D2BE.jpeg

13C344AA-8AE3-43C9-BBE2-36DB0126F644.jpeg

Monkeys......
4ACA2B3A-3AD9-4583-A143-8875A5AB2DFD.jpeg

Helping keep things clean.....
424522DB-92B5-4FE7-8C6A-5927995D1CCE.jpeg

busy tank......
7FC9FFFB-C1D1-4C19-914B-9E28105734C7.jpeg

Couldn’t resist......
40E0474B-67E4-4F95-8D82-6238BA8BAF62.jpeg

943EB286-762F-480B-B7C0-B6C6099BB9AD.jpeg

Cheerio,

Attachments

• 75C64894-7416-46DA-854F-C4732F6D9940.jpeg
    75C64894-7416-46DA-854F-C4732F6D9940.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 232
That looks excellent some beautuful pictures, good to see a familiar face again ady tank looking great.

Dean

Filling out great and the main parts has grown in amazing! Looks awesome mate.

Can't help but think the moss on the ends of the branches detracts from the clean look of it all though and maybe better without...

I think youve just inspired a few chanes in my tank!..... been struffling for a while with having too much light at the surface for the java fern up top and too little for the plants at the lower side of the triangle. I can see here how youve compensated for that very effectively. :)

That looks excellent some beautuful pictures, good to see a familiar face again ady tank looking great.

Dean

Looking great Ady :)
Looks beautiful mate a work of art
Cheers
Jay
Filling out great and the main parts has grown in amazing! Looks awesome mate.

Can't help but think the moss on the ends of the branches detracts from the clean look of it all though and maybe better without...
I think youve just inspired a few chanes in my tank!..... been struffling for a while with having too much light at the surface for the java fern up top and too little for the plants at the lower side of the triangle. I can see here how youve compensated for that very effectively. :)
awesome tank :clap:

Cheers guys :)
@Kalum you may be right about the branches, I don’t fancy stripping them though to find out, as if I prefer it with the moss I then have to re tie all the fissidens :lol:
@Matt @ ScapeEasy i guess your meaning keeping the plants in the exposed area lower in the water column and then shading those on the right side with the stem plant? I also use pretty low intensity lighting. It’s a slow grower but easy to keep.

It’s been running almost a year now :eek:
Not a perfect aquascape but easy and enjoyable in the home. The plants have filled out considerably with the buces in huge clusters now. Overall the scape has kept its shape, I think to make it more complete suggestions of trimming down branches etc would help with the composition however I’m not that fussed and tend to prefer to use the branches as they are for the most part. A lot of the smaller wood has rotted and broken away so the detail is lost, compensated for in some part by the increase in plant mass. I guess when the larger structural branches begin to fail it will be time for a rescape....but for now it will just keep plodding along with its imperfections and algae :D

Few phone shots after maintenance......a lot of Christmas light and mirror reflections :p

243FEBC8-7183-49C1-846C-C902732B1B65.jpeg

DAC61350-A37F-4F08-B9BF-4D47D48B9682.jpeg

54AE8307-3CF2-4B50-BB3C-527B353F9EE8.jpeg

063314E2-E7B7-427A-A63B-BD4B9C2E56AF.jpeg

5BAE305B-6DE8-4E54-AC74-5B3821FCC9FD.jpeg

Hope you all have a great Christmas and all the best for 2020.

Ady.

Fantastic looking tank Ady, and a great journal to read.

I may have missed you detailing it, but can I ask what model of tap water filter it is that you are using? I wasn't aware the filters for them lasted 30,000 hours (!!), and I may get one myself for our own automated water changes, rather than rely on trying to auto-dose conditioner to our header tank!

I assume the filter is carbon based in some way, and also removes heavy metals etc?

Merry Christmas to you too. Pretty sure this is my favourite tank about now... :thumbup::clap:
Thanks Matt, really nice to hear.
Fantastic looking tank Ady, and a great journal to read.

I may have missed you detailing it, but can I ask what model of tap water filter it is that you are using? I wasn't aware the filters for them lasted 30,000 hours (!!), and I may get one myself for our own automated water changes, rather than rely on trying to auto-dose conditioner to our header tank!

I assume the filter is carbon based in some way, and also removes heavy metals etc?
Hi, it’s a 20” HMA filter:
20" sediment filter and Spectrum PCB-20-CM carbon. The pre filter will remove sediment down to 1 micron and protects the carbon cartridges from blocking or channelling there by lengthening their useful life. The PCB filter will remove Chlorine and Chloramine if present along with organically bonded metals.

How long will the cartridges last?

This depends on the flow though speed of water, and the ppm of the target contaminates.

- Option One @ 7.6 LPM - Chlorine to 190,000 litres, Chloramine to 12,000 litres.
- Option One @ 3.8 LPM - Chlorine to 380,000 litres, Chloramine to 30,000 litres.

hope that helps, I’ve found them to be very effective, easy to use and much easier than dechlorinators.

little video just while I’m here.....

Cheerio
Ady.

there's the money shot :eek:

it's amazing how planning/planting well at the start allows it to mature into something special like that as time goes on, impressive mate

Back