• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Re-scape and fish safety.

Ehcosbie

Hello all,

I am going to re-scape my first planted tank and I want to ensure the health of the fish, both during the rescape process and getting them back in the tank. I am aware that as the filter has been running for a good 10 months that it is likely fully cycled and as long as I don’t stop it for long (or let it dry out?), that it will be fine to use once i have finished re-scaping. But I have questions, if anyone can help.

1. Will the fish be ok in a bucket with tank water and with the filter on for a few hours while I wrestle with the tank?

2. I will be using new aqua soil in mesh bags under a couple of centimetres of sand (think md fishtank style). Will this lock in the aquasoil enough so that it will not leach chemicals into the water column that could put the fish at risk?

For me, the fish health is (and always will be) the absolute priority. As I haven’t done a re-scape before, I am paranoid for their safety and just want to be sure I am not putting them in any danger.

All advice welcome.

Thanks, Ed

The filter and fish will be fine in temporary storage for a good while.

For the aqua soil, if it were me I would want to either be soaking in a separate container for a least a few weeks with several water changes or running the tank without fish. The sand cap will probably do the job, but always better to be safe.

Back