• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Re Scape

Hoskins

After Christmas I am considering a complete strip down and new substrate / wood /rocks.

My dilemmer is that most substrates appear to release ammonia in the first few months and therefore I have an issue with my fish stock.

I have heard that eco-complete is the safest option but how safe? and are there any alternatives to consider.

I guess ideally I need another tank while the new substrate etc. matures.

Any input will be much appreciated.

Merry Christmas.

If you've got a mature filter and do daily 50% water changes during the first week or two (which is a good idea to prevent algae initially whether the substrate releases ammonia or not) then you fish will be fine. I kept mine in a QT tank while I added Aquasoil to one of my tanks and I never got an ammonia or nitrite reading so put the fish back in after only a couple of days. They were fine.

The only substrate that really releases a notcieable amount of ammonia is Aquasoil AFAIK.

Thanks for your input George.

After considering the various options and after a trip to TGM today. I settled on a base of Power Sand Special and topped with Aqua Soil Malaya.

I think that from what I see and hear I will regret the less hassle option and is worth spending the extra time doing a proper job.

The fish will have to live in a vat for two weeks while I am waiting for the ammonia to disappear. However Graham at TGM tells me that the ADA tank was reading zero ammonia after a week but 'better safe than sorry'.

Back