• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

RE: Shallow tank - washed out / bleached Monte Carlo and Tripartita

kschyff

Hi everyone,

I would like to request some help wrt a plant issue I am facing in a 60cm shallow tank. I have attached pics, which unfortunately make the plants look greener, when in fact they are very bleached and washed out. I use a canister filter with a spin lily pipe (Fluval 307) with Seachem matrix inside as well as purigen. I am using AS with the power sand as a base. Currently dosing APT completed using AquaEL lights with a total power output of 20w (1320 lumen together as there are two 10w lights). They are about 26cm from substrate level. Now I have to add that I did use other lights to see if it was light problem (I am new to this hobby) - these lights emitted 3000 lumen. The lights did not make a difference that I can see. Of course because of the unhealthy nature of the plants I have algae as expected. I have one issue that I am hoping is the issue as I should be able to rectify it with a skimmer. Currently the surface of the water gets covered in a film very quickly which I assume blocks oxygen exchange. I also have to mention that it is CO2 injected setup and drop checker is lime green when lights come on (they are on for 8 hours).

Any ideas? I can send more info or pictures if required.
Karl

Attachments

• 20210325_173519.jpg
    20210325_173519.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 274
  • 20210325_173533.jpg
    20210325_173533.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 152
  • 20210325_173544.jpg
    20210325_173544.jpg
    905.8 KB · Views: 165
Can you add a full tank shot might help people. Normally the response is poor co2 flow. Drop checker lime green is an indication the rate is OK but not all the areas will be the same

Here are some full tank shots.

Attachments

• 20210325_191200.jpg
    20210325_191200.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 167
  • 20210325_191206.jpg
    20210325_191206.jpg
    760.9 KB · Views: 163
  • 20210325_191214.jpg
    20210325_191214.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 157
How does the bubbles from the co2 diffuser flow. Do you see bubbles flowing past the poorly plants? The surface film is a sign the plants are in distress but you already know that. Surface skimmer will sort that

I don't see a lot of small bubbles over the plants, but then again even the plants right next to the diffuser are showing the same signs of distress and there a lots of mall bubbles there. I do want to add that I see loads of small bubbles rising from the Monte Carlo while the lights are on so photosynthesis is taking place.

I'd suggest then trying different diffuser positions and watch the effect. I found if you can get the diffuser in a downwards flow the bubbles mix with the water and then tend to be distributed rather than escaping to quick. I can't tell from the picture and I'm not sure how those lilly pipes work to guess how the flow is.

Its hard to see how you manage to get any decent CO2 distribution with that inlet, outlet and diffuser placement. Unless there is something I'm not seeing, it looks like your spin pipe outlet is pointed straight at the filter inlet, all at one end of the tank, and the CO2 diffuser is sat completely at the other end with no flow near it. Do your CO2 bubble not disappear straight to the surface?

I think those spin pipes are the most difficult to place for good CO2 distribution, but I assume you are using it to break up overly high output flow from the filter? If so, and a standard lily pipe isn't an option, then I would be inclined to place the lily pipe, the outlet pipe, and the diffuser in the centre of the back wall. That way the the spin pipe should send flow in both directions around the ends of the tank, and around the emersed rocks, along the front of the tank, and back through the middle to the outlet. The CO2 should be better distributed around the tank too as the bubbles will be pushed round by the flow - though to be honest, with the tank being so shallow, I'd probably be inclined to swap it for an inline diffuser.

Thank you Wookii. I actually have a CO2 Art inline diffuser. The spin pipe can't be moved because of the layout of the scape unless I redo the back of the tank. I can use the Fluval's default outlet which spurted all the water in quite a torrent straight towards the diffuser. I just can't get that hooked up to the nine diffuser I think. To be honest I have not tried that. Let me do a nice clean of the tank tonight and install the inline diffuser again. Will update when that is done.

Ok. I have reverted to the inline diffuser and from the flow of the water ( I can see the flow when I add the mineral salts) it seems the entire tank gets flow - especially the patch with the Monte Carlo. The drop checker is on 24/7 now so that I can get a constant CO2 level. The drop checker is lime green/slightly yellow. There are no inhabitants in this tank yet. If things, were to improve now, how long would it take and should I manually remove all the blackened leaves? There are loads of them.

Back