• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

reactors for dummies!

fourmations

hi all

couple of basic questions if you dont mind!

i have a pita with my diffusion!

i have used a glass pollen-type but I was not happy with it
i felt the bubbles got to the surface too quick

i now have the diffuser in a tiny internal filter
which chews up the bubble and spits them out,

its fairly efficient, but it clogs up frequently and is quite noisy
and you can hear a constant clicking type noise as the bubbles hit the impeller,
also its another eyesore i have to grow plants around

i have a largish eheim external (converted wet/dry, 1050lph)

i tried something i read in a forum somewhere...
it was to feed your co2 directly in to the breather that the wet/dry has,
but it spat out big bubbles that went straight to the surface

so anyway, is a reactor the job for me?
any links to recommeneded units?

this one looks tidy and secure,
http://cgi.ebay.com/UP-CO2-Atomizer...in_0?hash=item5633d4c84e&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

the tank is 100l, 36" x 12" x 15"

many thanks

Those are both inline diffusors. Not quite the same as a reactor, as a reactor will put out co2 dissolved into the water, whilst the inline diffusor will put out a mist of bubbles which you see through the tank.

I have the 2nd example there. Its very efficient, but has a narrow bore and needs jubilee clips to secure the filter pipes. The first looks like it solves these issues, with nuts to secure each pipe in turn.

They are still a little noisey, but I just wrapped a dry tea towel around it and cant hear it at all now.

Dave

thanks guys

it told you i was a dummie! ;)

so can anyone link me to a reactor
that would suit my tank (100l, 36 x 12 x 15")

actually heres a point i want to clarify...
from my reading, a reactor will completely dissolve the co2
before it gets near the outlet, right?

my spraybar is under the surface angled slighty upwards
so I get surface movement about two or three inches from the bar

is this okay position for use with a reactor or will i lose co2?

heres a link from a previous thread showing a clip of my surface movement if it helps
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7pP8G0IJq0

regards

yes reactors will completely dissolve the co2, i have an aquamedic reactor, they are pretty expensive to be honest. (about £50 you can easily DIY one similar, there is info around here somewhere to do this.) i probably would have bought the one from the link i posted had i seen them before i saw the aquamedic reactor.
some dont like the mist from the inline diffusers but my tank looks like lemonade a couple of hours into the light cycle because of excess oxygen anyhow!
you can easily DIY one similar, there is info around here somewhere to do this.

i'd would say you have a LOT of surface agitation and you will be losing a fair bit of co2.

tis a nice looking tank you have there tho!

baron von bubba said:
http://cgi.ebay.com/CO2-Carbon-Dioxide-Diffuser-Dispenser-Aquarium-fish_W0QQitemZ120460348278QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Pet_Supplies?hash=item1c0bff0b76&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14#ht_1981wt_1165
this is pretty similar but cheaper, few ppl on here use 'em and say good things about them
I have one of these and you will need pretty high flow from the filters to use this, I placed it in my Eheim 2224 and all I could see was bursts of large bubbles coming out of the spray bar (noisy too) and floating right to the surface since the spray bar is pretty high at the back. I have got a new filter but I haven't tested it on it. But I was not really impressed with it.

thanks for the tips all

i still dont fully understand reactors to be honest

do i need a powerhead for an external reactor
its only a small tank

thanks

fourmations said:
thanks for the tips all

i still dont fully understand reactors to be honest

do i need a powerhead for an external reactor
its only a small tank

thanks

The reactor goes on the output of an external filter or pump.
The water flows down thro the reactor, the bubbles enter at the bottom and are suspended in the reactor against the flow, (sometimes with the aid of bio balls or filter wool) and defused into the water as it flows back into the tank.

ok im getting it now

last question...
would you fit a reactor on a 100l tank
or stick with my diffuser/powerhead current set-up

i like the idea of a reactor but is it overkill in a 100l tank

the reality is that i would buy the aqua medic 1000
the diy project is not an option as i cant get the bits economically (in ireland)

will it change my life to the tune of 50 quid!

rgds

Hi fourmations
fourmations said:
would you fit a reactor on a 100l tank
or stick with my diffuser/powerhead current set-up
You don't necessarily have to. If your circulation is good you could easily stick with what you've got.
Having said that, I have recently changed over to an inline reactor and have found it to be more efficient, but my tank is slightly bigger. I will say from an aesthetic point of view, I like it, only because it removes clutter from the tank. I managed to get rid of my ugly 'in tank' reactor and a Koralia powerhead in one go :D .
Much more pleasing on the eye ;).

Chris

Back