• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

rebuilding my vivarium

Gh0st

Some might call me crazy, but maybe that's just what i am
I am rebuilding my vivarium from this:

DSC_2810.jpg

to a combination of this:

dirt_58710314_poH3mwH5_RainforestWaterfall_33571v2.jpg

and
4397563815_e133307b19_b.jpg

I have been looking at my vivarium for three years, and the viv became nicer and nicer along these years. But the problem is, that i am someone who needs to build something, not just look at at so during this time i let different ideas past my mind, but the slate look never left my mind.. So now is the time to start with my new project.

i will use this thread to show the progress of the conversion.

Empty:
DSC_7099.jpg

Creating the walls:
IMG_20120129_152337.jpg

IMG_20120129_164109.jpg

IMG_20120129_164122.jpg

1. The water will flow from the top in the middle (my new to be build waterfall), down the pool.
2. From the pool the water will flow from the lower right corner, behind the walls i created, which will be filled with filtration material.
3. On the left i made a hatch (you never know when u need to get there) where my pomp will be which will pump the water up to the waterfall.

goto 1.

old thread:
viewtopic.php?f=56&t=11063

I need to be ready before end of march, because my vivarium will be displayed a the Vivarium exhibition in the Netherlands

Hi all,
I'm really looking forward to seeing the finished job, I liked the last lay-out, but this one could be even better.

Seeing the Episcia, at the front of the old layout, makes me nostalgic for when I used to have the use of a small propagating glasshouse (with mist unit and closed cases) I filled my bit up with Gesnerids (Codonanthe, Smithiana etc.), nearly all gone now. I took home as many as I could, but all the really interesting ones dwindled away in the house eventually.

I've got a couple of Columnea left (x banksii & probably "Early Bird") and an Aeschynanthus, (A. "lobbianus" but probably a hybrid) that survive at home. You are more than welcome to some bits of either.

cheers Darrel

right now nothing ;) , but before i took everything out, there were only 7 tricolors in it

step by step.... but we will get there :)
Only problem i have now is that i am out of sillicone, so i need to get some new tomorow :)

IMG_20120131_201647.jpg

i am gonna leave it like this ;)

i will use black and grey grout and finish with several epoxy layers (with more pigments) to give the slate a more wetter look en hopefully a sense of stone :)

I have built a few myself in fact I have just finished one here...viewtopic.php?f=35&t=19262&start=20 I do have some better finished pictures but I am waiting for my plants to arrive before I post them.
So how are you going to freeze time & make the flowing water look like your pictures ;)

foxfish said:
I have built a few myself in fact I have just finished one here...viewtopic.php?f=35&t=19262&start=20 I do have some better finished pictures but I am waiting for my plants to arrive before I post them.
So how are you going to freeze time & make the flowing water look like your pictures ;)

i won't i guess... unless i get some kind of jetstream on it.
but when i show it to you guys when i am done we will hopefully be able to see a picture with the water flowing like above .

Yeah those tricolors :)
detail3__Custom_.jpg

Daddy Tricolor with tadpoles on his back, on his way to find a place to drop them in the water.

they are not poisonous anymore, due to their diet. most of these frogs obtain their poison from the food they eat (fire ants etc) in my vivarium they get normal fruitflies.

Ah, works like that with pufferfish. Never thought it would be the same with frogs.

Still wouldn't want to give one a kiss on the nose!! lol

doesn't go as fast as i hoped due to other stuff i need to do, but yesterday i had a spare hour so here is a small update

i am trying to fit the slate not completely horizontal, because if i do that in the whole viv it will look to artificial, so every few layers i try to tilt the slate a bit to give it some diagonal lines as well.

Hopefully this weekend i will be ready with the styrofoam/polystyrene and the first layer of grout can be put on.

IMG_20120202_220417.jpg

IMG_20120202_221415.jpg

finished the styro/poly just a few minutes ago.
329138_327730547272432_100001064693281_1008499_1854777033_o.jpg

tomorow i will start with a thin layer of grout.

i use white grout for wet areas with an elastic bond mixed with some black paint.

testing some colours
IMG_20120205_185736.jpg

IMG_20120205_185638.jpg

Back