• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Reccomend me some suitable plants....

Mr Bee

Hi, I've just recently added lighting to my tank to try and recover my spiky moss which has virtually all died off over the dark winter months (I didn't have any lighting before - just what came through windows!) and now I'm wondering if there is anything else which might be suitable.

I ask if there's anything suitable, meaning low tech and low requirements, as I don't want to start getting involved with CO2 and am wary of ferts because of my shrimp (RCS). So basically I just need some advice on what will grow and survive in my tank with just the addition of lighting.

Tank specs are:
60 Litre (~13 UK Gal.) with a 14W tropical (red & blue bias) tube.
Livestock is Neon and Glowlight Tetra, some Red Cherry Shrimp, and a healthy stock of MTS (normal, mahogany, spike tail and dominican types) if that matters.

At the moment I have silk plants, and the only live planting is a bit of spiky moss; which as I said has largely died off, and I'm trying to recover it with lighting, which is working very slowly - I can see a few fresh green shoots.

I'd like to add a bit more live planting and give my shrimps somewhere to hide and hopefully breed, and any advice wuld be gratefully received :D

Cheers Sam,

I'll probably go to my LFS this week and enquire what they got in the way of those that you reccomend. Do they stay small too?, obviously I don't want something thats gonna grow like 12inch leaves, as I've only a relatively small tank.

I don't suppose you have any pics of what anubias, crypts or java ferns look like do you?

Oh, and can they grow in gravel substrate too?

Sorry for many Q's, but I'm still a noob at this live plant lark! :oops:

tropica is fantastic but if your anything like me you end up covering an entire sheet of paper of plants you want to get pmsl.

In my tanks, I only use silk plants on it, and it seems my pet fishes like it. I wonder if I add more in my tank. I think the decoration on my tank still needs more, and I will add some when I am done to my work this day.Artificial Trees

U're really in the wrong place to advocate artificial plants u know?

There are a lot of un-demanding plants out there. My Java Fern is thriving under T8 lighting with no adding of ferts (until recently, as I had some left over from another tank).

In my tanks, I only use silk plants on it, and it seems my pet fishes like it. I wonder if I add more in my tank. I think the decoration on my tank still needs more, and I will add some when I am done to my work this day.Artificial Trees
haha, I dont think this is for real, If so i think buddy that maybe instead of spending 3,50 on a blastic heap of poo then maybe use your money constructively and purchase yourself some hygofilia, Or similer plant that grows easy under any conditions and are easy for a first time real plant keeper to keep, The secound you do so you will notice that your aquarium comes alive as it wont always look the same, And your fish will be even more happier than they are right now in there proberly very high nitite level water. You wont regret it, Go on. Give it a blast. :thumbup:

Back