Recomendations on snail munching fish??

Discussion in 'Fish' started by Vito, 1 Oct 2008.

1. Vito

Vito Member

Hey guy's, I have an abundance of snails at the moment that I try removing manually but they never seem to go, I've read the most effective way is to get a snail eating fish, I have a Rio 125 and I would like one that doesn't munch my plants and stays small any recomendations?

Vito

2. JamesM

JamesM Member

I heard yo-yo loaches are good, but mine doesn't touch them.

Best way I found to control snails is to cut back on feeding and make sure any dead plants/leaves are removed asap.

3. Terry

Terry Member

I've got 4 x Dwarf Chain Loach in a 250 ltr planted tank and they demolish any snails with relish.

Terry

4. jay

jay Member

My male dutch ram takes care of a majority of snails.

5. Dusko

Dusko Member

Anentome helena (the snail-eating snail) aka Assasin Snail can be helpful in smaller tanks (I use them)

Dusko

6. Tom

Tom Member

Puffers are the best of the best when it comes to snails, but you need to watch what you have them with.

7. Fred Dulley

Fred Dulley Member

My 2 Yo-yo Loaches happily snack on snails.

8. san-ho-zay

san-ho-zay Member

Five zebra loaches for me (B. striata). Not a snail in sight. If I find one in another tank, I throw it in - they love 'em.

Do any of you keep loaches with shrimp? I bought a couple as a trial, thinking the loaches would probably eat them but they haven't. But they do hide all the time.

9. Fred Dulley

Fred Dulley Member

I added 4 Amano shrimps to my 125litre tank with the 2 Yo-yo Loaches in, and I see some shrimp occasionally. It was a sort of test to see if it worked. It was 2 females and 2 males I added. One of the females is HUGE! Even though I carried out the test, I haven't really been able to draw a conclusion because I don't know if some shrimp have been eaten. I could be seeing the same shrimp every time :?

10. Vito

Vito Member

Ok guys thanks for the advice, I ended up buying 2 Botia striata this morning and they seem to be settling in quite nicely.

Thanks again,

Vito

11. san-ho-zay

san-ho-zay Member

Botia striata are a great little fish. They interact so much you'd get more out of them with a larger group though. Even one more would be better. Five is a good minimum. They typically grow to about 3" SL.

12. joyous214

joyous214 Member

puffers, or i did have some loaches that became so fat from eating snails that they stopped!!!!!!!!!!! Then i had to just suck them up when i cleaned out

13. Fred Dulley

Fred Dulley Member

If loaches stop eating snails then starve them for a few days and they usually go back to eating snails. Think about it from the loaches point of view, why should I go out looking for snails when a nice person makes me fat with flake food and bloodworm. :lol:

14. tanker

tanker Member

mini puffers. they're the best, and their appetite is large... can clear your snails within days. then u'll notice lots of dead snail shells that has turned white on your substrate, looks like snail mass grave :lol:

but puffers also eat shrimps, harass oto, snaller fish. uncontrollable.

15. Jeremy

Jeremy Expert

Paradise fish are killer snail eaters, as are convict cichlids.

Wouldn't have convicts in a planted tank though due to aggression, although they do eat filamentous algae too.

16. George Farmer

George Farmer Founder Staff Member

Totally agree with the above. Great fish in their own right, and super snail destroyers.

17. Vito

Vito Member

Well I must say the 2 Botia striata have eliminated all the snails and they are a great addition to my tank, not only do they serve a pupose but they also look really nice and I have never been a fan of loaches...

The only thing is I think they might be the culprits of my HC uprooting time to time... any way I would have to say they are really active and seem to be happy, thanks for all the advice guys, really appreciate it.

Vito