• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Recommend a plant like Helferi/Tenellus

amy4342

Hi all.
I'm looking for a tall background plant for my nano - I really want to use Cyperus Helferi, but I think it's too tall-the tank is only 25cm, or can I just trim the tips off the Helferi? Another plant I think looks similar is Tenellus, but this is too short - I just can't win :D. So can anyone recommend anything that looks similar but is around 25cm high.
Thanks

Hi amy,nearly all plants (the ones I've grown anyway)will grow taller than stated in any book,as they all have one aim and that is to make use of what light is available.a plant I would recomend for you is stouregyne, if you don't trim it becomes a nice stem plant which would suit your nano,Cyprus heferi would be ok too but may become taller than 25cm in time,it's hard to predict what a species will attain in height as we have different parameters in our setups.
Regards john

If you're looking for a grassy plant,sagittaria (natans) can get taller than a lot of people think. There's a few other varieties too.

Blyxa works well in one of my nanos.

Vallis mini-twister really does stay at the height Tropica say it does. It barely reached the top of my Rekord60 which was around 22cm from substrate to water line once filled, I loved this plant, it really looks nice once grown in.

Back