• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Recommend a salty site.....

For a pair of clowns I'd say you'll be fine with around 60 litre mark I've kept a couple of different nano reef aquariums one of 30 litres and one of 48 and they were both awesome although I recently had to sell up and will eventually be going back to tropicals for a while

Defiantly check out the thenanoreef.co.uk I'm a regular there and the people are really friendly and helpful too!

Wow keyboard warrior, those are stunners.
What lighting were you using and what tanks were they? I particularly like the clean glass and sand.....not a huge fan of the coralline algae everywhere, although I understand it has its benefits.
Ill check out the nanoreef, think it may be one of the ones I briefly looked at the other night.

As a side it seems the fluval sea set ups are out mid June, and pfk did a recent article on the TMC signature marine set up which look nice, although not sure I liked the sound of a gurgling overflow....i like quiet tanks, plus with choosing all the additional gear it could get very expensive very quickly which is not what I ideally want. Maybe I could retrofit the 55l aquanano and be careful with inhabitant stocking choice. Obviously that way I'd already have the tank, but maybe couldn't get all the fish I'd like. Being smaller in size would mean outlay on live rock etc would be much reduced too :)
Ill consider my options over the next few weeks and decide then if going marine is viable now.
Cheers,
Ady.

I had dark thoughts about a marine nano recently Ady. Interested to see how you get on :) I liked the look of the TMC Microhabitat setups. I only wanted something big enough to keep Sexy Shrimp :lol:

The 55l aquanano would be very easy and could be quite a cheap way of getting a marine tank. The basic tank with the rear filter is very similar to the plug and play marine tanks such as the orcas etc when I first got into marine I found I got caught in a trap of you must have this you must have that, marine imo is no more difficult that tropicals with a bit of research and low stocking it really is a case of keep it simple, as a rough guide your 55l could easily house a pair of clowns a pair of cleaner shrimp 10 snails and 5 hermits,

Corals are where things can get complicated but if you went for soft corals such as xenia, zoas, mushrooms etc basic t5 lighting would be more than enough

Budget wish, with a bit of ebay magic to get your tank up and running with live rock, extra powerhead optional skimmer etc £200 is more than realistic

Hth

Mark

Thanks Mark, a lighting upgrade and skimmer would be definites for me on the aquanano....possibly even a sump system.
Plenty to consider.
Cheers.

I was on Ultimate Reef for years and found the regional section (Scotland) very friendly and helpful.

Back