• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Recommend a water change pump please

Muso1981

Hi,

I'm currently using a cheap submersible pump I got from Amazon for water changes. Its rated at 1600l/h but it's no where near that. I bought a higher rated one to speed things up a bit but it was actually slower!

Does anyone know of a good pump/brand they can recommend for this purpose?

Cheers,

Im using one of these for my water changes. Its rated @1500L, but its plenty quick enough. How fast do you need it?

71JdPvyPT7L._AC_SL1200_.jpg

Depends how far and how high your pushing the water wether you get what it says or not, I use one like the above to refill my tank and I just stick the pump in the tank and sython it to drain, don’t bother turning it on as it’s a faff to plug in wit it’s current location.

Mine is like the one above but blue, I forget what it’s rated to, standard impeller type pump so not that powerful.

Are you lookin to speed up your water changes?

When looking for a pump find something with a larger outlet also and then bigger hose (bigger then garden hose) will help

Hi,

I'm currently using a cheap submersible pump I got from Amazon for water changes. Its rated at 1600l/h but it's no where near that. I bought a higher rated one to speed things up a bit but it was actually slower!

Does anyone know of a good pump/brand they can recommend for this purpose?

Cheers,
I found once your trying to pump a head the flow will drop massively with a filter you get the weight of the water siphoning back on a closed system so it's not as bad. But a pump in an open system does not get this. I've solved the problem by getting long pipe, putting the pump in the bucket in the bath upstairs and let gravity do the work. I only have an 8mm hose or the amount flow messes the tank up. It will fill 50 litres in about 15 minutes without the power 10 with power. Can you utilise the pumps you have in this way?

When I do waters changes from my 260 litre and 450 litre aquariums I drain using gravity and only use a more powerfull pump for refilling.
I drain the water into a 75 litre black square tub purchased from a pond supplies shop. I drilled two holes, one at each end to accept a hozelock connector.
On the outflow I use this pump;
Amazon product ASIN B07GBVVQHJIt pumps through about 8 meters of hose rising to five feet into the top of a water butt in the garden pumping at about the same rate as gravity.
It takes about 15 mins to remove 20% from the 260 litre and about 30 minutes from the 450.
So if speed is your enemy not the pump for you but it does the job for a surfing the web while draining water change.

Hi, I was hoping to speed things up a bit. I'm doing a 50% water change on a 200l, to be honest it's not so bad as it is. I've got a low tech tank and I'm constantly messing around with settings to make it at low maintenance as possible. Cheers

I use a set of hoses and valves connected to my canister filter.
The tank drains from the filter inlet in the tank through one hose, then refills via a second hose, the canister, and the spraybar.
It takes about 5min to syphon off 25L and about 15min to replace that, but my filter is underpowered for the tank. I'm planning to replace one of my two canisters with a circulation pump, and that should do it quicker.

Submersible Pool and puddle pumps you can get for around 50-70 quid that will pump 10000lph (depending on hose size) which is an insane flow rate... it's just could you keep the mixed water coming at the same rate at that point.
There are also smaller mini version of these bottom pumping submersibles at the 1000-2000lph mark.

Back