• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Recommend/ Why hasn't anyone done a comprehensive video about all the chemistry of a planted tank?

Just a thought ~ wouldn't it be easier for people to find if say karmicnull did an article on TDS and that was then added as a sticky in the water chemistry forum.
Everyone is free to write articles, and then post them in the articles section, moderators can then read and review.

I was actually surprised that with all the knowledgeable members in the forum there wasn't more of these stickies explaining some of the basic things that's mentioned above.
If there is a thread that is really good would be great if members just bring it to our attention, so we can make it a sticky, I browse a lot of the forum, but I don't have the time to read every thread/post. Most of my time is ensuring the forum runs properly or working on the next feature (working on a new one already lol)

Of course this would require time and effort from forum members, but would imo create a useful knowledge-base.
It's all about member contribution at the end of the day and yes it does require time and effort and some articles do really need updating, if there are members out there that are willing to contribute we are happy to listen, the forum has a vast base of information if you are willing to search for it, unfortunately most people just want the information presented to them, so some articles with references to threads within UKAPS for further reading would be awesome.
Yes I am still thinking about doing that! I would like to work on it with others if people are interested (message me if you are interested :) ). I wasn't thinking of anything big like a wiki, but more like a simple clear guide to a first planted aquarium that clearly explains the concepts you need to understand to not kill anything accidentally in a clear encouraging way, with links to more guides, tutorials and further reading for more depth if people want it, and to let them know of some of the possibilities. Personally I think it would be good if the guide was pretty (I am a designer after all lol!) with some illustrations to help people visual concepts, as a dyslexic person it's easy to get confused when all the science gets involved (I managed to read Walstad's book and completely miss all sorts of essential info). I think it's also good to attach it to UKAPS, as people here are always happy to help, and it's nice to contribute to the site and the community, cos really everything I know I learnt from you all.
Sounds like a good idea, looks like there are at least two members already interested in this. Would really be good for members and to take UKAPS to the next level if some clear articles were produced.

Haha, that would be a whole lot of stickies. 👍
That is also true! and recently did some review of some stickies also and did remove a few!! ;)

I don't think this subject is impossible to break down; for me this is best shown as a decision tree...
Hi @castle

The example you have given (What is TDS?) is a simple question and answer scenario. But, what if the question is - what causes BBA to grow in our tanks? There are more than 28 pages on this topic beginning here:

Although the above thread isn't exclusively about aquarium chemistry, I hope it illustrates my point. And, I'm not sure that we will all agree on some of the answers to apparently simple questions.

JPC

Hi @castle

But, what if the question is - what causes BBA to grow in our tanks?

A: We're not sure, we think X contributes and Y seems to inhibit. Check out alt, and alt2.

Q: What's X?

etc

something like that.

I'm not saying the solution I'm proposing would suit all, but what is written wouldn't be set in stone - I could do something fancy with going down different paths for different point of view. Additionally, I'm not trying to explain the unkown I'm trying to create novel way of following information which together gives a whole. That said, I wrote the core code behind this then got bored of the idea this afternoon.

Back