• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Recovering Blyxa

Aeropars

Hi Guys,

I've started dosing EI in the past three weeks and added a koralia 2 weeks ago to take mt flow to over the 10x turnover.

My Blyxa was in pretty bad shape being reduced to pretty much a thumb sized plant. I've since added some more and the inevitable happened as it started to melt.

can anyone give me any tips on making it recover well? My waters pretty hard which i thought might make it problematic however other people have success in hard water. Drop chekers are lime green as well (i have 2 on both sides of the tank and both are the same)

Any help appreciated!

Lee

I know you said your flow is over 10X turnover, but is it reaching the blyxa? Maybe it's in a dead spot?

Blyxa has lots of roots - do you have a fertile substrate or root tabs?

Graeme Edwards said:
A serious amount of Co2 and lean dosing has worked for me.

Hi ,i agree with the above,i run 5bps on my setup and add 15mls of easycarbo everyday and my blyxa has done well since day one,regards john.

Thanks all.

I've some easy carbo on the way although I'd be surprisde fi this solves the problem.

I appear to be able to grow most plants bar Blyxa and its the plant i most want to grow as it fits in with so many of my ideas. Because of this I tent to use it as the benchmark of my tank so if this isnt doing well, i think the other plants wont be doing as well..

At the moment its not growing but then again its not falling to bits at such a quick rate as it was before. I upped the CO2 a little to the point I come home form work and there's a couple of fish gasping at the surface although the rest seem perfectly fine.

Has anyone got some wise words to let me know how long it would take for me to see any sign of recovery?

I kinda have this sinking feeling that its not going to happen for me again but really don't want to believe that.

P.S. Clive, am i missing something? You're now living in Miami?! What happened to Horsham?

Horsham is history mate. It was only used as a location where I broadcast my pirate signal to hack into The Matrix. It was discovered by the sentinels. Agent Smith said of me; "Whatever you think you know about this man is irrelevant and some authorities considers him the most dangerous man alive." Anyway this is my new broadcast location. ;)

As others indicated, Blyxa appreciates a lot of CO2 so it makes sense that Excel would help. Many miss the concept that for a given tank configuration (light, flow etc), the amount of CO2 necessary for some plants to thrive may exceed the safety limits of the fauna. We know that hard/soft water isn't a factor and that heavy/lean dosing isn't an issue, so the only thing left is CO2/flow. If you really want to grow it then you'll have to optimize the tank for it's favorite conditions. You may have to move the fish out, or they may adjust to the higher level. Give it a few weeks at this higher CO2 level and it should recover.

Cheers,

Thanks for your response Clive.

The EasyCarbo arrived today and i'll be able to set up my nano tank so I'll transplant some Blyxa and see how it does in that tank compared to my main 180l tank. It has stopped dying off which I'm taking as a good sign but theres no indication of new growth just yet, or if there is its very minimal. Oddly though, since dosing EI some of the leafs went bronze! I cant remember who but someone was looking into the reasons why this happens and what causes it.

One thing I have notices is just how dirty the tank is on the inside with fish waste. I have a bristlenose plec which I'm certain is responsable but the missus wont let me get rid of it.

Incidentally, I've added a Hrdor Koralia powerhead to my tank which takes the flow to over teh 10x limit but i'm not sure its quite enough. I have the Koralia 1 (1500lph) and a Eheim pro 2 (950 lph) but the flow in the tank doesnt seem to be that vigorous. Its sloqly moving but i would have expected more movement. do you think upgrading to the koralia 2 (2300 lph) would help?

Some of my leaves have also started turning that brozny brown colour..I'd be interested to know why! :D

How big is your tank? I have a koralia 1 on my 96L and it's just about perfect in my opinion.

Back