Red area behind/to side of gills?

Discussion in 'Fish' started by skinz180189, 6 Aug 2009.

1. skinz180189

skinz180189 Member

After my gill disease thread, I have now noticed the guppies have developed a red coloured patch actually behind/to the side their gills, which you can see through their skin. They don't seem to have any behaviour changes yet.

2. skinz180189

skinz180189 Member

Some google digging suggests a few things. Ammonia seems a major cause of this in guppies, so I've just changed 50% of the water, gave the filter a good deep clean, and added some filter floss in the gaps between the existing media.

3. SunnyP

SunnyP Member

I think it is just a build of ammonia or nitrate levels out of their tolerence. Possibly do some water changes over the next few days.

4. skinz180189

skinz180189 Member

That's what I plan to do :thumbup:

5. amy4342

amy4342 Member

Do you use dechlorinator when you do a water change? If chlorine levels are high in your tapwater, the chlorine can cause irritation. If you do use a dechlorinator, does it treat chloramine? If your local water supplier uses chloramine (a mixture of chlorine and ammonia), the dechlorinator will burn off the chloring but leave the ammonia. Just some possible thoughts.

6. skinz180189

skinz180189 Member

Yea I use De-Chlorinator, and it treats both chlorine and chloramine. I've never had this issue until now though, which is strange.

This is pulled off my water supplier's website for my area;
    I'm guessing that means we using Chlorine round here still?

7. amy4342

amy4342 Member

Yup. Although, if you're de-chlorinating, that shouldn't be the problem. Just to cover all bases, you are using old tank water to clean the filter media also? I wouldn't have thought it was an ammonia problem because you left the old mature filter in for quite a while to seed the others. Strange.

8. skinz180189

skinz180189 Member

Yeah I always clean the filter in the water I've just siphoned out.

9. aaronnorth

aaronnorth Member

the level of ammonia produced from dechlorinating wont be enough to affect you fishes like it has been doing,