• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Red belly piranha

Simon25

Does anyone know how quickly red belly piranhas grow? Thinking of getting a small school of them like 4 but when they are adults I would probably be only able to keep two but seeing if it is worth getting for the atheistics of more fish

It’s not really a general aquarist fish.

Long term care should be loose aggregates of minimum 5 and with a 30cm potential size that’s a 1500l tank for long term care which could be 10…15years.

They also eat plants.

It’s not really a general aquarist fish.

Long term care should be loose aggregates of minimum 5 and with a 30cm potential size that’s a 1500l tank for long term care which could be 10…15years.

They also eat plants.
Yea I noticed these in the fish shop near me, thought it could be nice to have an usual fish but I knew they grew to 30cm but was wondering how quick they get to that size but if it takes 10 - 15 years I may get them but need to do more research into them first. Thanks 👍🏻

Yea I noticed these in the fish shop near me, thought it could be nice to have an usual fish but I knew they grew to 30cm but was wondering how quick they get to that size but if it takes 10 - 15 years I may get them but need to do more research into them first. Thanks 👍🏻
They grow pretty fast, I recon fully grown with a year or two. They’re pretty boring to be honest, they don’t do much when they’re fully grown. Would be better with something like a rainbow wolffish if you wanted an interesting predator that doesn’t get too big.

I remember years back seeing presume it was this species going off the colouration some in a stores display tank but later removed and replaced with schools of different Barbs . The size they grow probably the reason

Yeah, as others have said they’re pretty slow fish when full sized, but you need more like 10 to stamp out aggression between them. It’s approx three years from 1” to 8” - according to my memory 😅

I think these fish are best suited to shop displays and public aquariums.

Back