• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Red Cherries - help !

dino21

Hi,

In December we purchased six red cherry shrimps from MHA that were quite young, at about half full sized.
Now just a few weeks later they are just going wild and can see at least 20 new young ones, some just a couple of mm others already well over 10-15mm !
At this rate we are going to be swamped !

The tank ( the only one) is a 40cm cube approx 50lts net, well planted and stocked with 6 Endlers and 8 dwarf corys.
We are not doing anything for the Shrimps other that our normal fish feeding.

What limit should we place on the Shrimps population as do not want to risk any wipe out of them or the fish ?

Also noticed that there seems to be two distinct types ? one stays mainly on the surface of the sand and things and looks like they have short red legs.
The other has long thin almost white legs and swims around very freely, possibly a litte bit deeper red in the body.

I read recently shrimp will put a limit on themselves. If its too crowded they will stop breeding, and or stabilise. I have a few deeper red ones (fire red) which have longer legs and swims around a lot. Not sure why that is.

You can always ask your local aquarium shops if they will take the shrimp for some store credit.

I used to have a very small shrimp tank and it was teeming with CRS shrimp. It never had a problem. Only stopped keeping them as my husband dropped them into my 500l when he decided to decorate the room so he could move the tank. The big fish had a feast 😳. I lost interest after that

I used to have a very small shrimp tank and it was teeming with CRS shrimp. It never had a problem. Only stopped keeping them as my husband dropped them into my 500l when he decided to decorate the room so he could move the tank. The big fish had a feast 😳. I lost interest after that
Id like to drop your husband into a tank of electric eels see how he likes it.

Hi,

In December we purchased six red cherry shrimps from MHA that were quite young, at about half full sized.
Now just a few weeks later they are just going wild and can see at least 20 new young ones, some just a couple of mm others already well over 10-15mm !
At this rate we are going to be swamped !

The tank ( the only one) is a 40cm cube approx 50lts net, well planted and stocked with 6 Endlers and 8 dwarf corys.
We are not doing anything for the Shrimps other that our normal fish feeding.

What limit should we place on the Shrimps population as do not want to risk any wipe out of them or the fish ?

Also noticed that there seems to be two distinct types ? one stays mainly on the surface of the sand and things and looks like they have short red legs.
The other has long thin almost white legs and swims around very freely, possibly a litte bit deeper red in the body.
Same with me, bought 6 cherry shrimp and hardly saw them for weeks in 120l then started to see more - obviously breeding. When I cleared the tank few months later to start a new scape found 80+
Still breeding in new tank and numbers never caused any problems. You’d never know so many are in there

Only wanted 6 reds to brighten up the 50 ltr tank, but in 2 months begining to loose count, must be over 100 that I can see plus some still fry size so they are still breeding !!
Noticable that the snail population is going down, food comptetion ? though do the shrimps eat the snail eggs or very small snail hatchlings ?

001091.jpg

Only wanted 6 reds to brighten up the 50 ltr tank, but in 2 months begining to loose count, must be over 100 that I can see plus some still fry size so they are still breeding !!
Noticable that the snail population is going down, food comptetion ? though do the shrimps eat the snail eggs or very small snail hatchlings ?

View attachment 182579

Lots of happy shrimps! Nice Job! 👍 ... Oh they definitely eat snail eggs and snail hatchlings - even small tetras will do that. Everything they can work on goes down the hatch. :)

Cheers,
Michael

Back